Proofreading/written exercises

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    In two of the final stage ACs I reached last year, one at a firm I plan to reapply for in October, I was let down mainly by my performance in a proofreading markup exercise, part of the exercise also involved reading through a large amount of text to then check whether this had been conveyed appropriately in the email.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to how I could improve, as I wouldn't like to make the same mistakes the second time around!!

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    In two of the final stage ACs I reached last year, one at a firm I plan to reapply for in October, I was let down mainly by my performance in a proofreading markup exercise, part of the exercise also involved reading through a large amount of text to then check whether this had been conveyed appropriately in the email.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions as to how I could improve, as I wouldn't like to make the same mistakes the second time around!!
    Thank you for this thread as I think it will help a lot of people in your same situation. I think that whenever you are confronted with exercises of this nature, I would focus on three key steps:

1. Do a first quick grammar check to make sure there are not any spelling mistakes, wrong grammar, weird sentences in the documents you are reading as often times these are the kind of tricks that law firms put in exercises like this;

2. I would do a second check to make sure that the content is correct and nothing has to be amended from a semantic point of view. This will allow you to solely focus on the law and the content of the documents without trying to fix/look for both grammar and semantic mistakes;

3. whenever you deal with a lot of documents, I would highlight the crucial points and see if they are highlighted in the email, as long as those are tackled you should be doing a good job

I hope these tips are useful and keep up the good work, and I am sending you positive energy for this cycle, this cycle will be your cycle! @sxw517

• Love
    Reactions: sxw517

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Thank you for this thread as I think it will help a lot of people in your same situation. I think that whenever you are confronted with exercises of this nature, I would focus on three key steps:

1. Do a first quick grammar check to make sure there are not any spelling mistakes, wrong grammar, weird sentences in the documents you are reading as often times these are the kind of tricks that law firms put in exercises like this;

2. I would do a second check to make sure that the content is correct and nothing has to be amended from a semantic point of view. This will allow you to solely focus on the law and the content of the documents without trying to fix/look for both grammar and semantic mistakes;

3. whenever you deal with a lot of documents, I would highlight the crucial points and see if they are highlighted in the email, as long as those are tackled you should be doing a good job

I hope these tips are useful and keep up the good work, and I am sending you positive energy for this cycle, this cycle will be your cycle! @sxw517
    Thank you so much, Axel. This is great!

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.