Public international law vs. international arbitration - whats the difference ?

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Quite different, with some overlap! I'll try and explain simply.

1. International arbitration. This is generally split into investor/state and commercial.

(a) commercial. A private dispute resolution between two commercial parties, based on a contract. No PIL

(b) Investor - state. Disputes based on treaties rather than contracts, with consideration of international law in treaties and the law of investment. This is where the overlap is. Parties are investors and states.

2. Public international law. A broad practice area, normally involving disputes between states and areas such as international human rights. Can include international supply chain issues, cases before the ECHR, as well as cases before the ICJ / ICC.

I hope this helps! I should say that the distinction between the two is not iron-clad, and there is some debate as to where the boundaries lie.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Quite different, with some overlap! I'll try and explain simply.

1. International arbitration. This is generally split into investor/state and commercial.

(a) commercial. A private dispute resolution between two commercial parties, based on a contract. No PIL

(b) Investor - state. Disputes based on treaties rather than contracts, with consideration of international law in treaties and the law of investment. This is where the overlap is. Parties are investors and states.

2. Public international law. A broad practice area, normally involving disputes between states and areas such as international human rights. Can include international supply chain issues, cases before the ECHR, as well as cases before the ICJ / ICC.

I hope this helps! I should say that the distinction between the two is not iron-clad, and there is some debate as to where the boundaries lie.
    This is a very good description of the distinction, I would have said the exact same thing. Thank you so much @AlexJ for this!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.