Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I am interested in applying to the bar myself, but not straight away. The plan is to train as a solicitor and work in disputes, perhaps gaining higher rights if the option is open to me and staying in that for a few years. I then plan on doing an LLM to refresh my academic understanding of the area of practice I want to go into, sit the bar transfer test, and then go.

The reason I plan on doing it this way is because of how difficult it is to get a pupillage in anything these days. I have done mooting and some solid extra-curricular stuff, but I do not have numerous scholarships and prizes to my name or an Oxford first, which seems to be the norm for so so many chambers. I am trying to find other ways to stand out, and I think getting some work experience from the solicitor's perspective will be useful.

In the meantime, I am doing a few mini-pupillages now so I can have a feel for what they are like, and what kind of practice I would like to pursue.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.