Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your PWC Legal interview?

April 2017

What was it for?

PWC vacation scheme

Please describe the interview process at PWC Legal.

The first interview was with a recruitment company who were screening applicants for PwC. They asked mostly competency based Qs, pretty standard ones such as; Describe a time you had to receive feedback, Describe a time you had to work in a team, Describe a time you had to solve a complex problem, Describe a time you've led a team, Describe a time you've had to deal with a difficult person etc. After these straight-forward questions were dealt with, the interviewer asked a few other Qs about why law and what I knew about the next stage (e.g. LPC)

The second stage was an assessment centre that was three parts; individual assessment (timed exercise where you had to read a document through that had multiple options in it, summarise the pros and cons of each and then recommend an option), group exercise (timed exercise where you had to read a number of documents related to your particular solution to the issue (we had a client looking to expand into the hot drinks industry and needed recommendations about which area to move into), then present back to the group the pros and cons of your particular solution before deciding as a group the best approach to take) and finally psychometric evaluations (timed verbal reasoning and diagrammatic tests).

The final stage was a further invitation back for a face to face interview with a partner. This was, largely, competency based Qs again but with follow-up Qs each time now. e.g. Describe a time you received feedback and how you dealt with it, answer, Ok, what about giving feedback?. Other interviewees mentioned their partners had a more general approach to interviews - e.g. asking them about commercial issues affecting PwC now or the UK legal scene etc.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the PWC interview?

Practice practice practice. Competency based Qs are the easiest thing in the world if you practice them (using a methodology like STAR) and don't deviate whatsoever from your answer. I messed up the final interview by deviating on one of my answers and making myself sound like a walkover, if I had stuck to my original planned answer, the feedback I got was that I would have gotten the vacation scheme.

Furthermore, think about how PwC operate. They're a really interesting law firm to work for given they sit within a MDP, so you have a lot of access to internal experts and get to go with them on client meetings. Think about how this can affect you (for better or for worse) if you were working there.

Finally, be aware of how widely PwC operate both geographically and as a law firm. They have massive departments in various areas of the law, they like their applicants to have noticed that (e.g. they have a top rated immigration dept)

Name: Jonty

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your PWC Legal interview?

February 2018

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

Please describe the interview process at PWC Legal.

Our first task was to draft a report that considered three proposals for implement to achieve large-scale goals across a fictitious city. Many people did not finish this in the time given. We were then asked to complete an abstract reasoning test and verbal reasoning test, which again, few people finished. Finally, there was a group exercise in which we were all given different business proposals and had to advise a client with which we had a long history on what they should invest in.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the PWC interview?

For PwC, remember that you can bullet-point answers to save time. This is absolutely not a general rule. The trick with PwC is they want a report, and the priority is that you capture the information within the allotted time. They aren't expecting poetry. Unfortunately they have a very rigid application to studying results, and failing to finish the report within the allotted time is an almost certain way to fail the assessment centre, irrespective of your performance in the other assessments.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.