Question about CVs/Work Experience on Applications

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hi all,

I hope you are all well!

I'm currently applying for direct TCs (I'm soon to graduate), but have one vacation scheme coming up in the summer. However, I want to hedge my bets and also apply direct (just in case I don't covert the TC). Although I haven't done it yet, what do you think about putting on my CV/work experience section on apps 'incoming vacation scheme.' Would this make a difference/is it wise to do this - even though I wouldn't have much else to put (as I haven't done it yet).

Thanks!

TCP

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

I hope you are all well!

I'm currently applying for direct TCs (I'm soon to graduate), but have one vacation scheme coming up in the summer. However, I want to hedge my bets and also apply direct (just in case I don't covert the TC). Although I haven't done it yet, what do you think about putting on my CV/work experience section on apps 'incoming vacation scheme.' Would this make a difference/is it wise to do this - even though I wouldn't have much else to put (as I haven't done it yet).

Thanks!

TCP

I've seen candidates do this in a few applications and I don't really see a problem with it. Securing a vacation scheme shows that you're a competitive candidate, which could work in your favour.

I can only really see this looked at negatively if: (a) the firm you have a scheme with a firm that is very different to the firm you are applying to, or (b) the particular recruiter is quite picky and isn't happy with you putting in future work experiences (probably more likely to be an issue in an app form rather than a CV).

KLaw125

Junior Lawyer
    Aug 21, 2018
    I've seen candidates do this in a few applications and I don't really see a problem with it. Securing a vacation scheme shows that you're a competitive candidate, which could work in your favour.

I can only really see this looked at negatively if: (a) the firm you have a scheme with a firm that is very different to the firm you are applying to, or (b) the particular recruiter is quite picky and isn't happy with you putting in future work experiences (probably more likely to be an issue in an app form rather than a CV).

I completely agree with Jaysen comments. I had the experience of not converting my vacation scheme days before the direct TC deadlines, so applying for some beforehand is a great idea. I would suggest using the vacation scheme briefly within your 'why law' section of applications. An example could be stating after your main reason for law to write:

"As future candidate for in X firm's upcoming vacation scheme, I hope to develop my interest in law with practical experience in Y practice area (ideally a practice area that the potential firm's good at)."

Hopefully this shows you are a competitive candidate and you are reasonably developing your experience in other law firms.

Hope this helps!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I completely agree with Jaysen comments. I had the experience of not converting my vacation scheme days before the direct TC deadlines, so applying for some beforehand is a great idea. I would suggest using the vacation scheme briefly within your 'why law' section of applications. An example could be stating after your main reason for law to write:

"As future candidate for in X firm's upcoming vacation scheme, I hope to develop my interest in law with practical experience in Y practice area (ideally a practice area that the potential firm's good at)."

Hopefully this shows you are a competitive candidate and you are reasonably developing your experience in other law firms.

Hope this helps!

I totally agree with what has been written above and I think what @KLaw125 suggests is great. Don't feel you have to write loads about what you hope to gain but maybe just two things, say one thing about a practice area and I think it can be a really great thing to say something slightly more business related. Something like, 'I also hope to gain more of an insight into how law firms operate as a business and constantly seek to innovate to service their clients better'. That is quite brief but i think to show a real commercial interest in that way could serve you well too :)

Best of luck with the scheme also of course!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.