Question for the Application Form

SarahB3

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 28, 2019
Hi All. I have a quick urgent question.

If I connected with a lawyer or a partner at the firm I am applying to via LinkedIn and established a rapport with them via the platform or in a virtual meeting. What is the best way to describe my relationship with them pls?

This is to answer a question on the application form which says: 'State the name of your contact(s) and your relationship'?

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    I don’t know if this is just my own misinterpretation but I’m not sure whether a virtual introduction is considered to be a contact at the firm. At least in my own head I’ve always interpreted it as meaning a friend / family member / other intimate acquaintances at the firm. Basically anyone who may favor you and therefore shouldn’t be involved in your application.

But happy to hear if I’ve misunderstood :)

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi All. I have a quick urgent question.

If I connected with a lawyer or a partner at the firm I am applying to via LinkedIn and established a rapport with them via the platform or in a virtual meeting. What is the best way to describe my relationship with them pls?

This is to answer a question on the application form which says: 'State the name of your contact(s) and your relationship'?
    I agree with @FS - for example I used this section for my line manager in this case.

Reactions: SarahB3

SarahB3

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 28, 2019
    I don’t know if this is just my own misinterpretation but I’m not sure whether a virtual introduction is considered to be a contact at the firm. At least in my own head I’ve always interpreted it as meaning a friend / family member / other intimate acquaintances at the firm. Basically anyone who may favor you and therefore shouldn’t be involved in your application.

But happy to hear if I’ve misunderstood :)
    Oh snap, in that case I have misinterpreted the question. I genuinely thought they wanted to see who we knew at the firm and it was an opportunity to demonstrate our connections to the firm etc lol. Thanks

Reactions: TC fiend

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Oh snap, in that case I have misinterpreted the question. I genuinely thought they wanted to see who we knew at the firm and it was an opportunity to demonstrate our connections to the firm etc lol. Thanks
    No worries, I understand the confusion. I guess a good rule is whether that person really has any idea who you are, and whether they might 'vouch' for you in a sense. For example, I would put down any colleagues at my own firm, or friends who are at other firms. As HR / associates / partners are involved in the hiring process, they just want to avoid any nepotism or other unfair advantages over other candidates. :)

SaulGoodman

Jul 12, 2019
    No worries, I understand the confusion. I guess a good rule is whether that person really has any idea who you are, and whether they might 'vouch' for you in a sense. For example, I would put down any colleagues at my own firm, or friends who are at other firms. As HR / associates / partners are involved in the hiring process, they just want to avoid any nepotism or other unfair advantages over other candidates. :)
    I disagree that they want to avoid any nepotism or other unfair advantages as in my experience those with a connection (friend, family, former colleague etc.) have a much higher chance of success of reaching interview.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.