Question from a Paralegal: Telling Supervisor about TC Applications?

AspiringLawyer

Dec 30, 2019
Hi all,

I couldn't seem to find an existing discussion to post my question so created a new thread. Apologies if it should be diverted elsewhere.

For context, I am currently working as a paralegal and have done so for the past 3 months. I have, however, been on furlough over the last few weeks. During my time on furlough, I have been making TC applications.

My immediate supervisor is a Partner and we get along well. We regularly WhatsApp to keep each other up to date on general matters and to check in etc. Tomorrow we have an informal Zoom chat scheduled. I was wondering how best to approach the conversation of applying for TCs or, alternatively, whether it is appropriate to broach the subject at all.

The reason I feel so torn is because I don't want to come across dishonest about how I have been spending my free time by not mentioning it if it is 'so obvious' that I am applying for TCs. That being said, I am also acutely aware that this could potentially make me an easy option for redundancy as he may view it as a reason to withdraw from 'investing' in me if I am, in the long term, looking elsewhere.

To add to complications, I am also looking to apply for a TC with the firm itself but feel that this is highly unlikely given my furloughed status and limited time there.

Perhaps I am overthinking but I would be grateful if anyone had any thoughts.

Many thanks in advance!

gg999

Star Member
Apr 14, 2020
A lot of people paralegal whilst making TC applications. I think you are overthinking things. You don't have to disclose it if you do not feel entirely comfortable telling them.

Many people that have jobs apply for other roles, that is normal. Having loyalty to a company is often misplaced, especially since firms won't hesitate to get rid of you when they no longer require you for whatever reasons.

If you feel like it will jeopardize your chances of being "invested" in or being made redundant, I would keep it to yourself until you have received a confirmed offer in writing. The partner will probably understand if you did end up telling them as it is quite common for people to paralegal for a while before securing a TC.

I wouldn't feel too bad or worried about making TC applications, perfectly normal and fine to do so, many people do.

Nat

Star Member
Sep 8, 2018
I agree - the next natural step for a paralegal is a training contract. I would suggest you check your firm's policy about internal TC applications. Some firms require internal candidates to have been employed by the firm for some time (sometimes six months) before being "eligible" to apply. In the absence of a policy, being on furlough should not affect your eligibility for a TC but you never know what happens behind closed doors.

I wouldn't tell the partner about other applications but I would definitely tell them that I wish to apply for a TC at the firm and reiterate my interest in the firm (and give reasons why, eg. I have enjoyed my time there/colleagues/culture/keen to develop/contribute to the business etc). You can ask for advice on how to develop your skills to make you a stronger candidate. If not done already, you could also ask them if you could utilise the firm's free learning resources (if any).

Hope it goes well.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Alice G and AspiringLawyer

AspiringLawyer

Dec 30, 2019
A lot of people paralegal whilst making TC applications. I think you are overthinking things. You don't have to disclose it if you do not feel entirely comfortable telling them.

Many people that have jobs apply for other roles, that is normal. Having loyalty to a company is often misplaced, especially since firms won't hesitate to get rid of you when they no longer require you for whatever reasons.

If you feel like it will jeopardize your chances of being "invested" in or being made redundant, I would keep it to yourself until you have received a confirmed offer in writing. The partner will probably understand if you did end up telling them as it is quite common for people to paralegal for a while before securing a TC.

I wouldn't feel too bad or worried about making TC applications, perfectly normal and fine to do so, many people do.

Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply. Think it is definitely my furloughed brain running on overdrive, you have made me feel a lot better.

I agree - the next natural step for a paralegal is a training contract. I would suggest you check your firm's policy about internal TC applications. Some firms require internal candidates to have been employed by the firm for some time (sometimes six months) before being "eligible" to apply. In the absence of a policy, being on furlough should not affect your eligibility for a TC but you never know what happens behind closed doors.

I wouldn't tell the partner about other applications but I would definitely tell them that I wish to apply for a TC at the firm and reiterate my interest in the firm (and give reasons why, eg. I have enjoyed my time there/colleagues/culture/keen to develop/contribute to the business etc). You can ask for advice on how to develop your skills to make you a stronger candidate. If not done already, you could also ask them if you could utilise the firm's free learning resources (if any).

Hope it goes well.

Thank you so much for your advise, all very useful. I'll make sure I look into the firm's internal policy and ask for advise to make myself as strong a candidate as possible!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply. Think it is definitely my furloughed brain running on overdrive, you have made me feel a lot better.

Thank you so much for your advise, all very useful. I'll make sure I look into the firm's internal policy and ask for advise to make myself as strong a candidate as possible!
I would agree with @Nat here - try to make clear to them how much you'd like to apply for a TC with them and ask maybe if they would have any advice for you. I appreciate your feelings here as I get very anxious about being potentially dishonest so I really resonate with you here. I guess maybe further down the line if this is bothering you, maybe just broach it and say you don't want to seem to be doing anything underhand. I know people who have had to tell their bosses etc in the end because they've been needing to take a lot of time off for interviews etc so maybe play it by ear and see how it all goes.

Reactions: AspiringLawyer

SportsThoughts

Star Member
Jun 4, 2019
I've been in a similar position to this and unfortunately the answer really does depend.

I was interning at a company for a year where there were no opportunities post internship were discussed. It was addressed by my interviewers that I had obviously taken the law path and I made it clear at that point that my plan was to continue on it after my internship which they expected and were fine with - my manager didn't interview me but the team did.

Within the first month I received an interview invitation for a direct TC application. Being the transparent person I was/am, I informed my manager that I'd be taking the morning off and it wasn't a pleasant meeting. I was told that I was making a huge mistake by applying to firms amongst other things, as I assume he felt threatened. Unfortunately not everyone understands that sometimes a job is a job, and people move on. Even so when you might be on a fixed term contract and you're hedging yourself for when that contract expires OR in the case of a training contract when you have to apply 2 years in advance.

My advice would be to make your intentions for internal progression at the firm as clear as day and perhaps not your intentions to apply elsewhere. Ultimately should they decide to not offer you the internal TC and you secure something elsewhere, they can't be surprised. It sounds like your relationship with your manager is good which I hope would mean that they back you for the TC or if you move on, they shake your hand and wish you all the very best as any good manager would, after a last ditch attempt to keep you - obviously.

I know this doesn't give you the definitive answer that you might be looking for but hopefully it sheds light on a couple of factors you addressed :)

• 🏆
Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I've been in a similar position to this and unfortunately the answer really does depend.

I was interning at a company for a year where there were no opportunities post internship were discussed. It was addressed by my interviewers that I had obviously taken the law path and I made it clear at that point that my plan was to continue on it after my internship which they expected and were fine with - my manager didn't interview me but the team did.

Within the first month I received an interview invitation for a direct TC application. Being the transparent person I was/am, I informed my manager that I'd be taking the morning off and it wasn't a pleasant meeting. I was told that I was making a huge mistake by applying to firms amongst other things, as I assume he felt threatened. Unfortunately not everyone understands that sometimes a job is a job, and people move on. Even so when you might be on a fixed term contract and you're hedging yourself for when that contract expires OR in the case of a training contract when you have to apply 2 years in advance.

My advice would be to make your intentions for internal progression at the firm as clear as day and perhaps not your intentions to apply elsewhere. Ultimately should they decide to not offer you the internal TC and you secure something elsewhere, they can't be surprised. It sounds like your relationship with your manager is good which I hope would mean that they back you for the TC or if you move on, they shake your hand and wish you all the very best as any good manager would, after a last ditch attempt to keep you - obviously.

I know this doesn't give you the definitive answer that you might be looking for but hopefully it sheds light on a couple of factors you addressed :)
Thank you for sharing your personal experience as this definitely does help to offer some perspective etc. I think it can really depend on the people/person you work for when it comes down to it but I totally agree with your advice here :)

AspiringLawyer

Dec 30, 2019
I would agree with @Nat here - try to make clear to them how much you'd like to apply for a TC with them and ask maybe if they would have any advice for you. I appreciate your feelings here as I get very anxious about being potentially dishonest so I really resonate with you here. I guess maybe further down the line if this is bothering you, maybe just broach it and say you don't want to seem to be doing anything underhand. I know people who have had to tell their bosses etc in the end because they've been needing to take a lot of time off for interviews etc so maybe play it by ear and see how it all goes.

It's nice to hear someone else would feel the same way. From my interview with the Partner when I was initially hired, it was very clear on both ends that my intention was to ultimately go down the TC route and so I don't think it would come at a surprise to him. I think I'll just see how it goes and decide further down the line whether it's something I should discuss with him. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It sounds like you dealt with this situation as best you could. The firm often converts their paralegals to TCs which is one of the contributing reasons I decided to take up this paralegal position as I know that is often not the case. I think it is more that I am on furlough and have only been at the firm for 3 months that makes it more of a tricky discussion. However, like you said, applications are for 2 years in advance so it's not like I'll be packing up and leaving any time soon! Many thanks again for your views.

Reactions: SportsThoughts

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.