Questions for interviewers

G P

Star Member
Jul 13, 2020
I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the best questions FOR interviewers? (i.e. when you get the chance to ask questions at the end of an interview.)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the best questions FOR interviewers? (i.e. when you get the chance to ask questions at the end of an interview.)
    Assuming this is a lawyer at the firm, there are three types of questions I used to have:

- A genuine question based on something that was said at interview (e.g. you asked my about X, what are your thoughts on this? Why did you move from X firm to Y?)
    - A back up question based on something specific to the firm that wasn't easily found online
    - A back up question based on something personal to the partners (e.g. my go-to was 'what gets up out of bed in the morning and coming into the firm each day?')

Reactions: TeeA and G P
    A

Anon08

A few of my favourites, which I haven't seen anyone else mention, include:
    1. If there was one thing that you could change about the firm, what would it be?
    2. If there was one thing that you wish would never change about the firm, what would it be?
    3. [Some combination of the above]
    4. [If you're talking to a partner who has been at the firm for a while] Why have you stayed at [firm x]?
    I have abbreviated the questions, leaving just the main essence - I tend to have a little preamble/joke beforehand to provoke a more humorous and open discussion on the question's subject! As with all specific interview advice, this comes with a health warning - use at your own discretion!

Just to exemplify how this might play out - I interviewed with an elite US firm and asked (3). I joked about how naturally the firm is of course flawless, but I like to ask all law firms these questions etc. and it got a laugh around the (virtual) room. What then precipitated was quite an honest discussion about the firm, how it has had some weaknesses in the past, how they have been rectified, and how they have strengthened certain aspects of their business model which they were especially proud of. I've had similar experiences at other firms, and the question seems (for me) to lighten the atmosphere and build a rapport with your interviewers.

There are also some more standard questions:
    1. I read about [firm x]'s plan for 2015-2020, which stated [abc] - what is [firm x]'s plan for the next 5 years?
    And some more...challenging questions (again, this comes with a health warning - use at your own discretion!):
    1. How is [firm x] defending its [type of work y] mandate against [firm w] (/[type of firm z])?

Keren

Star Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    As an interview question, would it be appropriate to ask whether Covid-19 has had a positive impact on the firm in any way (and if so, how/why?). I ask this as I can think of some positive outcomes of the pandemic (I am taking an extremely optimistic approach here) - e.g. fast-tracking the firm's mass use/acceptance of technology, the way they interact with clients, new business opportunities for clients (in terms of real estate, for example, albeit a decline in retail). A touchy subject of course, so would be good to know! Thanks :)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    As an interview question, would it be appropriate to ask whether Covid-19 has had a positive impact on the firm in any way (and if so, how/why?). I ask this as I can think of some positive outcomes of the pandemic (I am taking an extremely optimistic approach here) - e.g. fast-tracking the firm's mass use/acceptance of technology, the way they interact with clients, new business opportunities for clients (in terms of real estate, for example, albeit a decline in retail). A touchy subject of course, so would be good to know! Thanks :)

Yup, don't see anything wrong with this question. It seems like a far more interesting spin on the "How has covid-19 impacted your firm" question, so definitely go for it!

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    All the questions provided by others here are great, and many I actually used in my interviews.

I would also add that whilst having some thoughtful pre-prepared questions is excellent, if you spot anything that your interviewer says that interests you, don't be afraid to follow up on this at the end! Some of my best interviews were ones where I picked up on sports teams they were in at the firm (that I was interested in), the challenges/opportunities they have been facing in their practice areas that I had been reading in the news, and how they utilised their international background if it was similar to mine. I would just stay alert to what they are saying in the interview as perhaps they will mention something you are interested in that you didn't think about beforehand!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.