Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I came across a list of general questions I had prepared to ask law firms at interviews. I thought I'd share in case you need some back up questions (ideally, you wanna go for genuine questions). I've split them between questions to ask partners/trainees/graduate recruitment.

A little warning: some are pretentious/cheesy/only relevant to particular firms, so use them at your own risk :)

Questions to ask partners
    • Is the firm dominated by the states or more collaborative? What do you make of the relationship between offices?
    • How does the London office fit in with the broader strategy of the firm?
    • Does the US cultural influence make any difference on your day to day work?
    • How involved are you with US lawyers on a typical case? Does this pose challenges regarding time zones?
    • How involved is London in the firm’s overall decision making?
    • What are the biggest challenges about working on multi-jurisdictional deals (that aren’t related to the actual work)?
    • What proportion of partners trained within the firm?
    • Do you think there will be any consolidation among the major city firms?
    • Why do you think the best friend's network/alliance/merger is the best model for global practice?
    • Why do you do what you do? What gets you up in the morning?
    • Is the aim for the firm’s culture to be uniform across borders or distinct in each jurisdiction?
    Questions to ask trainees
    • How did you end in at your practice area? Where would you have gone if you hadn't ended up here?
    • Is there any scope to contribute ideas to the firm as a trainee?
    • How is it ensured that trainees on client secondments get the same standard of training?
    • How do you view the rise of US firms in London?
    • How would you describe X firm’s place in the market?
    • In terms of personal training/development, what does the law firm offer?
    • What are you most looking forward to in your future?
    • How many of you tend to work on a deal?
    • Do you find the culture non-hierarchical? Open door policy?
    • How involved are you with business development (BD) and promoting the firm?
    • What do you wish you’d known about being a trainee before you started that you now do?
    • How does the lack of billable hours affect your practice?
    • With the best friends network/alliance approach, has do secondments work?
    • Because there are fewer trainees at this firm, would you say there is greater trainee responsibility/exposure?
    • What was it like when you actually began at the firm? How did you find the transition?
    Questions to ask graduate recruitment
    • How are seats allocated?
    • What are the skills you look for in a trainee?
    • Is there a mentoring programme available on the training contract?
    • Why did you join?
    • Can you tell us about the structure of your training contract assessment days?
    • How do trainees receive feedback? Is there a formal appraisal?
    • Are there opportunities for pro bono work?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.