Questions to ask the Interviewer

Olivia Graham

Star Member
Aug 6, 2019
Hey guys!

Does anyone have any tips for what questions to ask during your interview? I'm anticipating a 'do you have any questions for me' towards the end and am trying not to be caught out!!

Thank you:):)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys!

Does anyone have any tips for what questions to ask during your interview? I'm anticipating a 'do you have any questions for me' towards the end and am trying not to be caught out!!

Thank you:):)

As long as you aren’t asking something that could easily be found on the website/isn’t relevant to the interviewer - any genuine questions will do.

You might find you have a question based on something you’ve read about the firm. Or you could ask the interviewer a question based on something they asked you in the interview e.g. ‘You asked me about XYZ, what is your opinion on that?’.

If I was really stuck for a question, my go-to was always something about what gets them up in the morning and working at the firm they’re at. It was nothing special but an easy question for interviewers to answer and discuss why they like their firm.

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    As long as you aren’t asking something that could easily be found on the website/isn’t relevant to the interviewer - any genuine questions will do.

You might find you have a question based on something you’ve read about the firm. Or you could ask the interviewer a question based on something they asked you in the interview e.g. ‘You asked me about XYZ, what is your opinion on that?’.

If I was really stuck for a question, my go-to was always something about what gets them up in the morning and working at the firm they’re at. It was nothing special but an easy question for interviewers to answer and discuss why they like their firm.
    This is great advice, especially your final point as generally speaking people enjoy talking a little bit about themselves and this would be an ideal question.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

A4991

Star Member
    Nov 20, 2019
    You could ask them if they started their careers at the firm and if so what has kept them here. If it turns out that they have not started their careers at the firm, why did they decide to join the firm and how does it differ to their previous firm(s)? That has always worked for me and it starts an interesting conversation which should allow for further questions to come up naturally in your head while you are chatting away with the partners/senior associates.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    agree with the earlier posts.

I’d add, don’t try to be over clever or think you should ask something just because it’s more aligned to your interviewer rather than you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.