Quick First-Year Grades Check

ashwright

Standard Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 10, 2023
    Hi! First post so hope I'm doing this the right way...

I recently received my results for first year and would really appreciate any thoughts on them. My plan is/was to apply to vac schemes in 2nd year.

Contract - high 2:1
    Property - low/mid 2:1
    Constitutional - mid 2:2
    Module 4 - unknown

My average at the moment (ignoring the module I have not received my results for) is a low/mid 2:1.
    My concern is that I am certain that I did badly in Module 4 (2:2/3rd) worthy which would drop me to 2:2 level.

How bad is this? Would my contract grades balance out Constitutional & Module 4?

Thank you!

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Well done on finishing first year!

Realistically your first year grades, whilst indicative of potential overall performance of your degree, are usually worth at most only 1/3 of your degree, but typically less. You are averaging at a 2:1 which is the required grade to qualify for a TC at most firms.

Of course, you will be competing with other applicants with other grades so what I would suggest in really putting your all into your studies in the first term of second year to demonstrate your potential. Furthermore, making sure you can explain the 2:2 will be important (is there a mitigating circumstance or perhaps a reason for the lesser understanding with a plan to improving next year and in your final year?) and that the rest of your application is excellent (including your commercial awareness and AC skills).

Your grades are really not the end of the road, so please don’t worry!

Hope this helps :)

ashwright

Standard Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 10, 2023
    Well done on finishing first year!

Realistically your first year grades, whilst indicative of potential overall performance of your degree, are usually worth at most only 1/3 of your degree, but typically less. You are averaging at a 2:1 which is the required grade to qualify for a TC at most firms.

Of course, you will be competing with other applicants with other grades so what I would suggest in really putting your all into your studies in the first term of second year to demonstrate your potential. Furthermore, making sure you can explain the 2:2 will be important (is there a mitigating circumstance or perhaps a reason for the lesser understanding with a plan to improving next year and in your final year?) and that the rest of your application is excellent (including your commercial awareness and AC skills).

Your grades are really not the end of the road, so please don’t worry!

Hope this helps :)
    Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your very kind support - it really means a lot to me!

If possible, I would really appreciate if I could ask a quick add-on question.

I did have 2 mitigating circumstances in my first year - would that mean it would be alright to try for vac schemes with a low 2:1 or even a 2:2 if my pending module brings me down? I’m somewhat hoping that since my most corporate-related modules of contract and property were good/decent respectively, my other unrelated modules (both 2:2) would be not so bad…😅

Thank you! I really appreciate your kindness.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your very kind support - it really means a lot to me!

If possible, I would really appreciate if I could ask a quick add-on question.

I did have 2 mitigating circumstances in my first year - would that mean it would be alright to try for vac schemes with a low 2:1 or even a 2:2 if my pending module brings me down? I’m somewhat hoping that since my most corporate-related modules of contract and property were good/decent respectively, my other unrelated modules (both 2:2) would be not so bad…😅

Thank you! I really appreciate your kindness.

No problem, ask away with all questions you want/need to!

The mitigating circumstances will undoubtedly help you but ensure you thoroughly explain them to the best of your abilities on the application (there is usually space for this). If you are applying with an average of 2:2, I would personally wait until you have an average of 2:1. If you are averaging a low 2:1, you can probably start applying if you are under time pressure to secure a VS. However, it's important to bear in mind that some firms do not let you reapply in the next cycle. So for those firms you are more heavily interested in, it might be in your interest to wait until you have secured at least a term's worth of higher grades via formatives etc!

buddinglawyersss

Oct 1, 2023
    Hi, just wanted to jump in here too and would hugely appreciate any advice!

I recently just received some of my first-year grades back and whilst I was initially quite comfortable, to my horror I found out that one of my modules (Constitutional Law) was only a 50%. However, I received a 68% and 69% two other modules, namely Contract and EU Law.

I do have mitigating circumstances to explain what happened for the 50 and my average is now a 62%. My A-Level grades are AAA. Will this significantly bar my prospects from getting a good vac scheme/TC? Thank you !

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, just wanted to jump in here too and would hugely appreciate any advice!

I recently just received some of my first-year grades back and whilst I was initially quite comfortable, to my horror I found out that one of my modules (Constitutional Law) was only a 50%. However, I received a 68% and 69% two other modules, namely Contract and EU Law.

I do have mitigating circumstances to explain what happened for the 50 and my average is now a 62%. My A-Level grades are AAA. Will this significantly bar my prospects from getting a good vac scheme/TC? Thank you !
    Especially with mitigating circumstances, there are no issues here.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.