Re-apply

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    In general, why do firms ask if you have previously applied to them? Do you diminish your chances by applying to the same firm if you failed at the application stage the previous year? How should you approach these questions - do you need to touch on how your application has improved over the last year or do you just need to state when did you apply and the stage reached?

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    In general, why do firms ask if you have previously applied to them? Do you diminish your chances by applying to the same firm if you failed at the application stage the previous year? How should you approach these questions - do you need to touch on how your application has improved over the last year or do you just need to state when did you apply and the stage reached?

In answer to how you should approach these questions, I think it's not a place to say how your application has improved but more your latter suggestion - what stage did you get to when you were rejected. Some, like HSF, even suggest you don't need to tell them - you get an option.

In terms of a place to talk about your improvements, let your application do the talking. If you get to interview stage and they bring it up, that's where you might need to get your story straight on why you think it didn't go so well the first time.

Generally, I would say that firms are open to applicants applying again, more so when you failed at the written application/the first hurdle. You might not have been able to show your talent/that you knew your stuff last year and therefore you deserve a second chance. Or, you might not have seemed motivated enough with your lack of legal experience (not everyone cares about this but gaining more experience between your two application rounds is never, ever a bad thing, if that's what you've done). Finally, it shows commitment to a firm that you're applying again. Failure hasn't put you off, in other words.

Although this doesn't speak for all firms, some have a reputation of not considering applicants who failed at interview/assessment centre stage (you don't seem too concerned about this particular dilemma?). Even if they don't refuse to look at your application, it is suggested that you aren't likely to have a good chance of being invited again. Jones Day explicitly mention on their form that they don't think candidates have a high likelihood of passing the second time if they failed in a previous cycle.

However, don't be disheartened and take that advice with a pinch of salt. Jones Day, last year, placed me on a reserve list for their vacation scheme. When no places opened up for me, they encouraged me to apply again next time around. However, after speaking to their recruitment manager, I got a different story. She suggested that they might not consider giving interviews to those who have already tried (at interview stage) and not been good enough, and might chance her luck on another potential candidate who's never interviewed for the firm. On the other hand, she did suggest that if you are really passionate about a particular firm, to go for it again and to really show that passion (and not because you're desperate). Basically, it all seems quite subjective.

Hope this helps you understand it a bit better!

Reactions: Jaysen and KLaw125

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.