Reapplying for Ashurst and issues with psychometric tests

AlfredH1031

Jan 31, 2023
Hi all,

I am in a rather specific situation as I am reapplying for Ashurst. My last application in 2022 was unsuccessful and I was not invited to an interview. I am making a new application for the 2024 Summer Internship programme after getting two new work experiences at a pro-bono clinic and a paralegal firm. I also got some expert advice on writing a persuasive application so I am feeling more confident than last year.

There remains a problem which I would love to hear your thoughts. I know that Ashurst is quite unique in the way that applicants are asked to complete a Cognify psychometric test. I read somewhere that I can only take the test once every 12 months. I am eligible to apply again since it is a new application season but I did the test last year in December, so technically I can't complete another test right now. I heard that what will happen is that I will be using the same old result again in my application.

Is there a way I can take a new test? I remember my previous test result wasn't too satisfactory so I would appreciate it if I will be given a new chance. Or should I wait until December when the one-year period expires? (Even though I know Ashurst is 'non-rolling'.)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I am in a rather specific situation as I am reapplying for Ashurst. My last application in 2022 was unsuccessful and I was not invited to an interview. I am making a new application for the 2024 Summer Internship programme after getting two new work experiences at a pro-bono clinic and a paralegal firm. I also got some expert advice on writing a persuasive application so I am feeling more confident than last year.

There remains a problem which I would love to hear your thoughts. I know that Ashurst is quite unique in the way that applicants are asked to complete a Cognify psychometric test. I read somewhere that I can only take the test once every 12 months. I am eligible to apply again since it is a new application season but I did the test last year in December, so technically I can't complete another test right now. I heard that what will happen is that I will be using the same old result again in my application.

Is there a way I can take a new test? I remember my previous test result wasn't too satisfactory so I would appreciate it if I will be given a new chance. Or should I wait until December when the one-year period expires? (Even though I know Ashurst is 'non-rolling'.)
If you are concerned about your test result, I would wait until 12 months have passed before taking it as there won’t be a way to retake it if they work to a once in twelve month cycle.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.