Received TC offer halfway through a Vac Scheme at Another Firm

LawMadeInOven

Future Trainee
Mar 2, 2020
Hello, hope this is the right place to ask about this!

Basically, I received a dream TC offer halfway through my vac scheme at another firm. It is a dream TC for me so I am absolutely certain about accepting that offer. Because it took quite a few correspondences back and forth to confirm my offer and I wanted to make sure that everything is set before disregarding other opportunities, I did not notify the firm where I am taking the vac scheme at.

What really bothers me is the right way to handle this. In the vac scheme that I am currently on, the partners and associates really have put a lot of effort into reviewing my work. Because I am close to the other participants and we do share what we are up to, I know that I was arranged special review sessions for certain tasks and was given the chance to look at confidential documents beyond the assigned tasks. I feel so bad about this, primarily because before the commencement of the scheme I was told repeatedly that the scheme is only for people who are interested in seeking a TC with the firm- If I am no longer interested, then I would need to let them know.

I have completed all the work in advance and tomorrow is my last day. I feel like I might as well complete the entire scheme. However, I feel like I will most likely expect some review sessions with the partners tomorrow and I am not sure how I should be handling this. Should I be honest and tell them that I am no longer interested, or should I just stick with it as if I had never come across that TC offer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, hope this is the right place to ask about this!

Basically, I received a dream TC offer halfway through my vac scheme at another firm. It is a dream TC for me so I am absolutely certain about accepting that offer. Because it took quite a few correspondences back and forth to confirm my offer and I wanted to make sure that everything is set before disregarding other opportunities, I did not notify the firm where I am taking the vac scheme at.

What really bothers me is the right way to handle this. In the vac scheme that I am currently on, the partners and associates really have put a lot of effort into reviewing my work. Because I am close to the other participants and we do share what we are up to, I know that I was arranged special review sessions for certain tasks and was given the chance to look at confidential documents beyond the assigned tasks. I feel so bad about this, primarily because before the commencement of the scheme I was told repeatedly that the scheme is only for people who are interested in seeking a TC with the firm- If I am no longer interested, then I would need to let them know.

I have completed all the work in advance and tomorrow is my last day. I feel like I might as well complete the entire scheme. However, I feel like I will most likely expect some review sessions with the partners tomorrow and I am not sure how I should be handling this. Should I be honest and tell them that I am no longer interested, or should I just stick with it as if I had never come across that TC offer?
This is really common.

There is no need to disclose at this stage, unless they outrightly asked you and even then you could just fudge it. It will only be if they invite you to come forward for a TC conversion process or offer you a TC that it’s necessary to tell them you won’t be taking the opportunity up.

Reactions: Alison C and Daniel Boden

LawMadeInOven

Future Trainee
Mar 2, 2020
This is really common.

There is no need to disclose at this stage, unless they outrightly asked you and even then you could just fudge it. It will only be if they invite you to come forward for a TC conversion process or offer you a TC that it’s necessary to tell them you won’t be taking the opportunity up.
Thank you so much for this! I feel much better now. On a side note, wholehearted thank you for the advice and tips throughout the application journey, have been so helpful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.