References questions(TC)

Rosh_67

Feb 18, 2021
Hi

Long time lurker, first time poster! Thanks to all that run this site, and the users :D

I have several questions about reference checks, relating to work experience.

I have 2 AC's coming up for TC's at a US firm and an Internationally Elite firm. If I were to be offered a TC, I am worried about my work experience. Firstly, the firms only asked for academic referees, so who would they contact for work experience references?
Secondly, with the exception of one summer VS that I failed to convert, the rest are both 1)unpaid and 2)informal (for example, first year schemes that lasted for either a day, or 2-3 days max), or informal shadowing in immigration law firms (for a week) way back in 2016. I'm really concerned as they may not remember me, or simply have had plenty of applicants since(did first year schemes at the start/middle of my first year, now have graduated a year ago!)
Finally, on the app form, I have listed some virtual insight schemes/vac schemes(ranging from legal cheek vac schemes, to a virtual insight week (admittedly through workshops only)with a national law firm who works with our university!)- and only lasted for a few days(5). Just wanted some closure as to how this would be checked, as I am stressing.

Wouldn't want to get this far only for offers to be rescinded

Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
They would contact you first for you to provide the details of who to contact first.

Virtual internship via Inside Sherpa/Forage type platforms are unlikely to be checked. They aren’t employment.

The first year insight programmes can be verified by firms. They may have lots of people attend them, but it’s pretty straight forward for them to be confirmed. That’s if a firm even cares about them enough to request a reference.

Informal placements can often still be verified. If the firm/employer can’t, you might be able to with written confirmation of your placement or any correspondence you had with the organisation when it was arranged.

Your offer is unlikely to get rescinded on this basis. It will only be rescinded if it is found out that you have lied about something or presented false information

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.