Reneging offers!

janet0987

Jan 28, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am facing a bit of an application dilemma and would be incredibly grateful if anyone could help me out. I've been offered a direct TC with one firm (firm A), and a summer vac scheme with another (firm B). I'm probably more interested in firm B, but don't want to risk not signing the TC for firm A in case I'm not successful on the vac scheme for firm B (I think they have a 70% success rate). Would there be any repercussions if I signed the TC for firm A now and then, if successful in firm B's vac scheme, accepted the TC there and reneged on firm A? This would be in July/August, so I'm wondering whether there's any chance firm A would already have paid my GDL fees so try and hold me to the TC.

If anyone has any experience or advice I'd be hugely grateful! Thanks so much :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, there is a possibility you could have to repay your GDL fees. Check the terms of your offer letter with firm A carefully as that’s the only way the firm can get money back from you if you renege/quit/resign.

Reactions: janet0987

janet0987

Jan 28, 2021
Yes, there is a possibility you could have to repay your GDL fees. Check the terms of your offer letter with firm A carefully as that’s the only way the firm can get money back from you if you renege/quit/resign.
Thank you so much for your reply! I've checked the offer letter carefully, but it only mentions repayment if you start the GDL and then renege, not if you renege before. So I'm wondering if I renege in July/August before I've even started the GDL whether they could try and charge me?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply! I've checked the offer letter carefully, but it only mentions repayment if you start the GDL and then renege, not if you renege before. So I'm wondering if I renege in July/August before I've even started the GDL whether they could try and charge me?
Possibly yes but you would have to start the on boarding forms for the GDL too so you would understand when that was happening. You would you potentially get funding from the other firm you got an offer from too, so could just repay it via them.

• Love
Reactions: janet0987

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.