Resit Question on applications

Chloe L

Valued Member
Dec 24, 2020
On a few applications it asks about whether you HAD to resit an exam and I’m confused as to how to answer this.
I submitted mitigating circumstances and was allowed to resit an exam that I had already passed.
I’m wondering whether I need to answer “yes” to this question as although I did resit, I didn’t “have to”.
Help!!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You have to provide any details of exams you have resat. Whether that is failing or trying to get a stronger grade, you need to provide those details.

Basically highlighting any multiple attempts at the same assessment.

You ultimately HAD to resit the module to get the grade you are putting on your application.

Reactions: SF1234

Chloe L

Valued Member
Dec 24, 2020
You have to provide any details of exams you have resat. Whether that is failing or trying to get a stronger grade, you need to provide those details.

You ultimately HAD to resit the module to get the grade you are putting on your application.

Great, thanks so much for clarifying

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020

I’m sorry for jumping in here but could I ask a related question please? Because of Covid, my uni allowed us to disregard any exams taken at home when calculating the final module grade if, for that module, 60% of the grade was determined by a pre Covid assessment. Since the exam was only weighted at 30% and I did quite badly, but had great marks for the 70% weighted research essay submitted in January, I elected to have the exam disregarded. It won’t show up on my transcript; I didn’t resit. Do I need to mention it nonetheless? Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’m sorry for jumping in here but could I ask a related question please? Because of Covid, my uni allowed us to disregard any exams taken at home when calculating the final module grade if, for that module, 60% of the grade was determined by a pre Covid assessment. Since the exam was only weighted at 30% and I did quite badly, but had great marks for the 70% weighted research essay submitted in January, I elected to have the exam disregarded. It won’t show up on my transcript; I didn’t resit. Do I need to mention it nonetheless? Thank you.

no - that’s not a resit so doesn’t need to be disclosed in this instance. Covid exemptions/compensation systems that need explaining are worthwhile mentioning in extra information sections.

Reactions: Veep9

kingkong

M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 21, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker @Jaysen , I finally got a TC offer and my contract states that I must pass the LPC on the first attempt. My computer had technical issues and I lost time in the exam so I have applied for mitigating circumstances which means I will have to resit the exam. However BPP has informed me that the first attempt (with tech issues) will not count and will not be on my record, therefore my final transcript will show the date of the exam (that it was delayed - so it will show the news resit date) but it will show on my record that its the first sit. I am wondering whether this will put me in trouble with meeting the terms of the TC offer and whether I should flag it to the firm now? Or wait until I give them my transcript and see if they ask me about why my first sit of the exam was delayed? Really worried and would appreciate your guidance xx

kingkong

M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 21, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker @Jaysen , I finally got a TC offer and my contract states that I must pass the LPC on the first attempt. My computer had technical issues and I lost time in the exam so I have applied for mitigating circumstances which means I will have to resit the exam. However BPP has informed me as per their policy that the first attempt (with tech issues) will not count and will not be on my record, therefore my final transcript will show the date of the exam (that it was delayed - it will show the ‘resit’ date) but it will show on my record that its the first sit and only attempt at the exam. I am wondering whether this will put me in trouble with meeting the terms of the TC offer and whether I should flag it to the firm now? Or wait until I give them my transcript and see if they ask me about why my first sit of the exam was delayed? Really worried and would appreciate your guidance xx
    Just wanted to add that this was only for one exam as I have got distinctions on all my electives and am expecting distinctions on my core modules (other than PLP where I will have to take it again). Technically on my report it will be my first sit (as counting the one with tech issues where I lost time would be unfair) so it shouldn’t be a problem? Should I still flag it? @Jessica Booker @Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker @Jaysen , I finally got a TC offer and my contract states that I must pass the LPC on the first attempt. My computer had technical issues and I lost time in the exam so I have applied for mitigating circumstances which means I will have to resit the exam. However BPP has informed me that the first attempt (with tech issues) will not count and will not be on my record, therefore my final transcript will show the date of the exam (that it was delayed - so it will show the news resit date) but it will show on my record that its the first sit. I am wondering whether this will put me in trouble with meeting the terms of the TC offer and whether I should flag it to the firm now? Or wait until I give them my transcript and see if they ask me about why my first sit of the exam was delayed? Really worried and would appreciate your guidance xx
    I’d explain to the firm now so you aren’t causing extra work when they question why the exam was sat later. It will also stop your anxiety regarding the issue to deal with it now. There is a clear reason here why you needed to resit and that was outside of your control, so I don’t see the firm having any issue with this

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just wanted to add that this was only for one exam as I have got distinctions on all my electives and am expecting distinctions on my core modules (other than PLP where I will have to take it again). Technically on my report it will be my first sit (as counting the one with tech issues where I lost time would be unfair) so it shouldn’t be a problem? Should I still flag it? @Jessica Booker @Jaysen
    Yes, still flag it. You clearly need an answer on this for your own worry/anxiety, and you’ll get clarity from the firm. I don’t think this is an issue - as the institution has explained it isn’t a resit. But it’s best to keep the firm updated on these things. If the firm has a preferred supplier, they might be telling the firm this anyway.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Yes, I'd call the firm now and explain the situation. Generally, when problems like this come up, I think it's always better to talk this through as soon as you notice it. The firm isn't trying to catch you out, but if you leave it to the transcript, they may wonder why you didn't talk to them about this.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.