Resitting A-Levels and future implications?

lawuser654678

Dec 26, 2023
Hey everyone!

I received my A-Level results in August 2023 and was disappointed with my results, which were A*BBC. I ended up missing my place to study law at a RG university, and decided I didn't want to settle through clearing. I've reapplied through UCAS and I'm currently re-sitting my A-Levels for the 2024 examinations. Does anybody know how this will impact my applications to law firms in the future? I understand that many law firms, especially the magic circle ones, do not look favourably upon those who have resat their A-Levels. I don't have any serious mitigating circumstances either. I know it's silly to think so far ahead in the future, but this is something that is worrying me :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone!

I received my A-Level results in August 2023 and was disappointed with my results, which were A*BBC. I ended up missing my place to study law at a RG university, and decided I didn't want to settle through clearing. I've reapplied through UCAS and I'm currently re-sitting my A-Levels for the 2024 examinations. Does anybody know how this will impact my applications to law firms in the future? I understand that many law firms, especially the magic circle ones, do not look favourably upon those who have resat their A-Levels. I don't have any serious mitigating circumstances either. I know it's silly to think so far ahead in the future, but this is something that is worrying me :(
Your first sitting of your A-level grades are likely to be sufficient unless the A* is in something like general studies/critical thinking or for your EPQ. If that is the case, you have very little to worry about, and you will just need to explain your rationale for resitting.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.