Resources for securing relevant work experience?

em2211

Apr 1, 2021
Hi all,

I am a recent non-law graduate who, having completed 2 vac schemes over the summer (unfortunately with no TC success), now finds themselves in a sort of involuntary gap year whilst reapplying for TCs etc. (largely due to financial reasons surrounding self-funding the GDL).

With regards to a job in the meantime, I was just wondering if anyone has any helpful suggestions or resources for finding industry-relevant work (full time or part time), as this is a lot less formalised than the VS/TC process. I see it as an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone - boosting my CV and making money to possibly travel in summer - and would really appreciate any and all advice!!

Many thanks in advance :)

Reactions: Alison C

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi all,

I am a recent non-law graduate who, having completed 2 vac schemes over the summer (unfortunately with no TC success), now finds themselves in a sort of involuntary gap year whilst reapplying for TCs etc. (largely due to financial reasons surrounding self-funding the GDL).

With regards to a job in the meantime, I was just wondering if anyone has any helpful suggestions or resources for finding industry-relevant work (full time or part time), as this is a lot less formalised than the VS/TC process. I see it as an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone - boosting my CV and making money to possibly travel in summer - and would really appreciate any and all advice!!

Your university careers service must be maintaining some sort of job board. You could also look at the careers pages of law firms you're interested non to find entry-level roles in law tech, paralegaling, business development etc. Else a generic Google out Linked search with filters of the kind of work you're looking and your industries of interest should help too.

Reactions: em2211

aspiringsolicitorr

Jul 31, 2021
Hi all,

Firstly well done on the 2 vacation schemes! I'm in a similar position as a recent non-law graduate who's also taking a gap year after an unsuccessful vac scheme this summer.

I've found that legal recruiters have been good at getting me interviews at law firms. So I'd start with that, as I've been lucky enough to get a case handler job at a commercial law firm through them. As I know, it's really difficult to get paralegal roles (especially as a non-law grad), but there are usually other roles available (junior legal assistant, business development).

Good luck; if you need any specific advice, you can always message me :)

em2211

Apr 1, 2021
Firstly well done on the 2 vacation schemes! I'm in a similar position as a recent non-law graduate who's also taking a gap year after an unsuccessful vac scheme this summer.

I've found that legal recruiters have been good at getting me interviews at law firms. So I'd start with that, as I've been lucky enough to get a case handler job at a commercial law firm through them. As I know, it's really difficult to get paralegal roles (especially as a non-law grad), but there are usually other roles available (junior legal assistant, business development).

Good luck; if you need any specific advice, you can always message me :)
Thank you so much for this response, really helpful advice!

I immediately gathered how hard paralegal work is to come about without having done the GDL, so I'll definitely give some recruiters a try. Are there any that you'd recommend in particular? Feel free to drop me a message if you don't mind sharing, thanks again :)

aspiringsolicitorr

Jul 31, 2021
Hi,

So sorry, I only just saw your response. I looked for legal recruiters within my local area (Bristol), who sent my CV and got me an interview with my future employer.

I’d say try to find a couple of legal recruiters in your local area - email them and then there’s typically a process to sign up to them (completely free). Alongside that you can keep an eye out for temporary and/or permanent case handler/legal PA jobs on LinkedIn, Reed etc. (as temporary roles can be easier to obtain - these could become more permanent/have more scope for a legal assistant role later on). Also, with a full-time temporary role there could be a good break - especially if you want more time towards vac scheme and TC applications.

In terms of legal recruiters, JMC Legal Recruitment, Chadwick Nott and Michael Page have been recommended (but I haven’t had any personal experience with them).

Hopefully that helps 😊 and good luck! I’m sure you’ll find something soon

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

em2211

Apr 1, 2021
Hi,

So sorry, I only just saw your response. I looked for legal recruiters within my local area (Bristol), who sent my CV and got me an interview with my future employer.

I’d say try to find a couple of legal recruiters in your local area - email them and then there’s typically a process to sign up to them (completely free). Alongside that you can keep an eye out for temporary and/or permanent case handler/legal PA jobs on LinkedIn, Reed etc. (as temporary roles can be easier to obtain - these could become more permanent/have more scope for a legal assistant role later on). Also, with a full-time temporary role there could be a good break - especially if you want more time towards vac scheme and TC applications.

In terms of legal recruiters, JMC Legal Recruitment, Chadwick Nott and Michael Page have been recommended (but I haven’t had any personal experience with them).

Hopefully that helps 😊 and good luck! I’m sure you’ll find something soon
Really helpful, thanks so much!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.