Response times and firms that accept CV and cover letter

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
I was just wondering which firms on average tend to respond back quite quickly when applying for direct TCs and vacation schemes?

Also which firms accept CV and cover letter and no online tests so just assessment centres or interviews?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just because a firm responds quickly one cycle or for one vacancy, does not mean it might be quick again (and vice versa with those who take their time). If you’ve got deadlines to adhere to, I’d look much more at when ACs run rather than how quickly you will hear back.

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Just because a firm responds quickly one cycle or for one vacancy, does not mean it might be quick again (and vice versa with those who take their time). If you’ve got deadlines to adhere to, I’d look much more at when ACs run rather than how quickly you will hear back.
Thanks Jessica with re to ACs, will it usually say on the website when they run or something you’ll have to contact grad recruitment about?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica with re to ACs, will it usually say on the website when they run or something you’ll have to contact grad recruitment about?

You’d probably need to contact the firm in question to find out what their estimated time frames are. However, if they are still accepting applications, this could be another 8-12 weeks!

do you have other offers/commitments you need to make that affects how quickly you need to know an outcome?

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
Many US law firms tend to use the old-fashioned standard application form / resume + cover letter route without any online tests, e.g. Shearman & Sterling, Faegre Baker Daniels, Fried Frank, King & Spalding, etc. That's of course not a universal rule, but from my experience they are the ones that do not bother with psychometric testing so I would suggesting looking here, especially if you are interested in working for US law firms.

As for the speed of response, this largely depends on whether the firm recruits on a rolling basis or not - if the latter, it is unlikely they will respond to you before the deadline. Anecdotally, I once made an application to such a firm shortly after the application window was opened in October and only heard back from them again in June - when I got the invite for an interview I already totally forgot that I made such an application :)

If it is a rolling basis, the average time of response varies between a few days to one month (with a caveat that if you are waiting more than 3 weeks it is most likely a rejection - but again, not a universal rule!)

Hope that helps a bit :)

Reactions: W

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.