Retrospective Funding

Matthew Ashikhin

Standard Member
Jan 4, 2019
Good day,

I had a look around google and the forum to see if there was some comprehensive list of firms that fund the LPC (and perhaps even GDL) retrospectively, but I couldnt find one.

I found that

• DWF
  • Edwin Coe
  • DLA
  • Nabarro (up to 50%)
  • Osborne Clarke (if you have completed less than half of the course)

ADDING ON FROM POSTS
  • Latham and Watkins
  • Allen & Overy (full retrospective funding)
  • Herbert Smith Freehills (full retrospective funding?)
  • Freshfields
  • Slaughter and May
  • Debevoise & Plimpton

Offer some kind of (or full) retrospective funding.

Last edited:
Reactions: AspiringSol and PHT

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Good day,

I had a look around google and the forum to see if there was some comprehensive list of firms that fund the LPC (and perhaps even GDL) retrospectively, but I couldnt find one.

I found that

DWF
    Edwin Coe
    DLA
    Nabarro (up to 50%)
    Osborne Clarke (if you have completed less than half of the course)

Offer some kind of (or full) retrospective funding.

Good thread idea. I'm not too sure how many firms advertise this but I'll see what I can find.

Reactions: Matthew Ashikhin

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Latham and Watkins reimburse in full - 'If you have already completed the GDL and/or LPC we will reimburse your fees in full. If you achieve, or have achieved a distinction in your LPC you will receive a £500 bonus.'

Weil, Gotshal & Manges do not and I don't believe Kirkland do either but their brochure doesn't explicitly say that, only saying 'We pay all your fees and provide a £10,000 maintenance grant for each course.'

Eva

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 24, 2018
    According to BCLP's FAQ page, 'BCLP meet all fees associated with both the GDL and LPC if you have not started or completed your studies when being offered and accepting a training contract. We do not pay course fees retrospectively.'

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    When I did my Kirkland AC, one of the trainees said that Kirkland had retrospectively funded both her gdl and lpc fees. I don’t know if this is company policy for all applicants though

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    I did some digging and the following firms offer some form of retrospective funding:
    • Allen & Overy (full retrospective funding)
    • Herbert Smith Freehills (full retrospective funding?)
    • Freshfields
    • Slaughter and May
    • Debevoise & Plimpton
    I've attached screenshots from the relevant GR websites!

Debevoise

Debevoise.png

HSF

HSF.png

Slaughters

Slaughters.png

A&O

A&O.png

Freshfields

Freshfields.png

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    I appreciate the start to this new thread!

I'm currently in my final year in my law degree and have an upcoming vacation scheme with a firm. I will be applying for the LPC to commence in September 2020 and want to approach the firm asking if they provide retrospective funding, hypothetically if they were to offer me a training contract after my summer vac scheme.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this topic with a firm if there is no information publicly available? Thanks!

Honest99

Mar 4, 2020

I'm currently in my final year in my law degree and have an upcoming vacation scheme with a firm. I will be applying for the LPC to commence in September 2020 and want to approach the firm asking if they provide retrospective funding, hypothetically if they were to offer me a training contract after my summer vac scheme.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach this topic with a firm if there is no information publicly available? Thanks!

If you complete the vacation scheme and get offered a training contract, it is up to the firm when and with what school you complete your LPC with. Some don't care when and where, others are strict about start dates and where you end up because of sponsorship agreements many firms have with schools like Ulaw and BPP.

I would email to find out more about what would happen if you were offered a TC and possible start dates in relation to the LPC.

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    If you complete the vacation scheme and get offered a training contract, it is up to the firm when and with what school you complete your LPC with. Some don't care when and where, others are strict about start dates and where you end up because of sponsorship agreements many firms have with schools like Ulaw and BPP.

I would email to find out more about what would happen if you were offered a TC and possible start dates in relation to the LPC.

Due to my visa requirements, I think my best option is to start the LPC for 2020-2021 which is why I was asking about retrospective funding because ULaw or BPP would be able to sponsor my visa. the TC would not be until 2022.

How would you go about emailing the firm to inquire about this information? I don't want to come off as if I know they will offer me a TC but rather I want to keep my options open and decide my best course of action moving forward. Thank you!!

Honest99

Mar 4, 2020
    Due to my visa requirements, I think my best option is to start the LPC for 2020-2021 which is why I was asking about retrospective funding because ULaw or BPP would be able to sponsor my visa. the TC would not be until 2022.

How would you go about emailing the firm to inquire about this information? I don't want to come off as if I know they will offer me a TC but rather I want to keep my options open and decide my best course of action moving forward. Thank you!!

Ahhh I see, that makes more sense now. Law firms are generally quite understanding and will do their best to accomodate you. I know some people that have applied for 2022 but have been allowed to start in 2021 or 2023 due to a variety of different issues/circumstances.

I would just ask them that if you were to be offered a training contract after the vacation scheme, if there was any possibility of doing the LPC in September 2020 due to visa issues. Keep it short and simple. They should be able to advise you if it is possible to complete your LPC in 2020.

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    Ahhh I see, that makes more sense now. Law firms are generally quite understanding and will do their best to accomodate you. I know some people that have applied for 2022 but have been allowed to start in 2021 or 2023 due to a variety of different issues/circumstances.

I would just ask them that if you were to be offered a training contract after the vacation scheme, if there was any possibility of doing the LPC in September 2020 due to visa issues. Keep it short and simple. They should be able to advise you if it is possible to complete your LPC in 2020.

Okay, thank you! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I’d wait until you get an offer and then approach it at that stage

Reactions: Jade

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    I’d wait until you get an offer and then approach it at that stage

My visa expires in October 2020 and my vac scheme would end mid July 2020. I think it's cutting it pretty close to apply for the LPC and extend my visa within 2 months.

Do you suggest I still apply for the LPC and only approach the law firm after I've been given an offer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My visa expires in October 2020 and my vac scheme would end mid July 2020. I think it's cutting it pretty close to apply for the LPC and extend my visa within 2 months.

Do you suggest I still apply for the LPC and only approach the law firm after I've been given an offer?

They are not going to know what to do with you, starts dates, intakes and visas until they have made a decision on whether to offer you a TC or not. I am not sure what the conversation would solve for you before then.

Also retrospective funding only applies if you have started or completed the course. You will have done neither.

Eamon

Star Member
    Jul 2, 2019
    White & Case will reimburse on a 'sliding scale' based on how many years ago you did the LPC. I have no clue what % this is though. Source: grad recruitment at an assessment centre.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.