Reusing part of a cover letter

B1806

Distinguished Member
Dec 31, 2019
Last year, I got a place on Slaughter and May's Open Day after submitting my CV and cover letter. Now I'm applying for their summer vac scheme and was wondering whether it would be acceptable to leave certain elements unchanged (the bit talking about why I'm interested in the profession and Slaughters in particular).

Thanks!

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Last year, I got a place on Slaughter and May's Open Day after submitting my CV and cover letter. Now I'm applying for their summer vac scheme and was wondering whether it would be acceptable to leave certain elements unchanged (the bit talking about why I'm interested in the profession and Slaughters in particular).

Thanks!
    Surely attending the Open Day would have adjusted, improved, or altered somewhat why you were interested in Slaughter and May?

Reactions: James Kitching

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sure, and intend to add those aspects. Some points are unchanged, though.

Some points are fine to keep in, but I would expect a lot of have changed from the open day and that you can probably still refine the letter by looking a it with a fresh pair of eyes.

If the open day was some time ago, I suspect you have done other things In the time since that could be referenced or included too

B1806

Distinguished Member
    Dec 31, 2019
    Some points are fine to keep in, but I would expect a lot of have changed from the open day and that you can probably still refine the letter by looking a it with a fresh pair of eyes.

If the open day was some time ago, I suspect you have done other things In the time since that could be referenced or included too
    Thanks, that sounds like a great approach! :D

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.