Ropes and Gray

Jaxkw

Star Member
Early Bird
Mar 15, 2018
I think that would be a bit of a stretch to say the least and a waste of words lol

I think there are a lot of other things to talk about?

Yeah fair. I was thinking of saying it shows their investment in diversity and talking about it more broadly (what stuff they're doing for inclusion and why that's interesting to me). But it's probably a bit flaky!

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Yeah fair. I was thinking of saying it shows their investment in diversity and talking about it more broadly (what stuff they're doing for inclusion and why that's interesting to me). But it's probably a bit flaky!

Agree with your point, a bit flaky. I think GR are more interested in learning more about the firm’s fee paying work because ultimately you’ll be doing that?

Anyone else have any other opinions?

bronson

Distinguished Member
Nov 23, 2018
Agree with your point, a bit flaky. I think GR are more interested in learning more about the firm’s fee paying work because ultimately you’ll be doing that?

Anyone else have any other opinions?

Was just searching up anything relevant to Ropes & Gray in these forums and thought I'd give my take on this...

CV-blind recruitment is nothing new and on basic google search this has been used since Clifford Chance since 2014 (according to Australian Financial Review in 2016 there were 27 UK firms already using it as well).

I also think so many firms these days express their 'investment in diversity' point where it's now the norm. So you run the risk of putting a pretty generalised factor of the firm into an application at the expense of putting a more tailored point which makes them stand out.

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
I was thinking of applying...but do you think think you could use this in an application form? As a reason for applying to Ropes & Gray?

Agree with Salma. Think it's a weak argument/reason for wanting to join a firm as lots of firms are trying to be more diverse. Particularly as I know from experience its usually a question in client pitches - though I maybe being overly cynical.

Does anyone actually know how CV blind or rare's contextual recruitment work? i.e the algorithm. sounds good but what does it mean in practice. i.e how are different factors scored.

Mimi

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2018
Agree with Salma. Think it's a weak argument/reason for wanting to join a firm as lots of firms are trying to be more diverse. Particularly as I know from experience its usually a question in client pitches - though I maybe being overly cynical.

Does anyone actually know how CV blind or rare's contextual recruitment work? i.e the algorithm. sounds good but what does it mean in practice. i.e how are different factors scored.

From having spoken to GR at various firms, CV blind recruitment is used during the interview stage i.e. graduate recruitment would be aware of your grades, experiences, background etc. however the associate or partner interviewing you will not receive that information. Therefore, the questions they ask you and the decision they make will be independent of knowing your grades and background.

As for Rare Recruitment, I believe if you choose to answer the questions at the end of several law firm's applications, it is a bit of a point based system which will put your info in context i.e. if you received AAB in A-levels but the average of your school was AAA then it may be lower than someone who received BBB where the average in their school was CCC. I.e. it puts your grades and other various information into context. I do not know how different factors are scored though.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.