sumi-na

Feb 11, 2023
The question was: What are your reasons for applying to the RPC Virtual Bristol Insight?

I aimed to hit all the major points:
  1. why law?
  2. how law would build on my previous experiences
  3. how I'd fit into the firm
  4. what areas I'm interested in, why
  5. why the firm specifically
  6. what I'd gain from the insight day, goals

I'd appreciate any feedback on the structure, tone, keeping the language clear and simple, or the content of course.
Thank you!

-

I want to attend the Virtual Bristol Insight Day because I am looking for a career in which I can work collaboratively with other people to make an impact. In my philosophy courses, I've immensely enjoyed the challenge of clearly delivering a complex message by improving my written communication skills. I hope to pair this attraction to analytical work with the social tact and confidence I've been pursuing during my volunteer work connecting secondary school girls with 'next-step' insight from undergraduate students. This effort, I believe, would thrive because of PRC's especially social character.At the insight day, I aim to learn how this social character is harnessed during projects and come away with more actionable steps toward preparing for RPC's vacation scheme.

I'm especially interested in the property and corporate areas of law. Property first excited me when I moved to Cape Town for university. As an older city, it inspired my curiosity about the logistics of using and maintaining old buildings, particularly how people's relationships are governed to do so. Since the Bristol office works in property and casualty insurance, this insight day is an opportunity for me to gain more focused information about career opportunities in property law. Considering land and property in the context of South Africa, I naturally became captivated by matters of dispute. As a class representative during the COVID-19 lockdown, I negotiated with faculty. A significant draw to RPC is its expertise in disputes and litigation. During the insight day, I plan to gain information on how I might be able to exercise such interest further in the coming years.

Ultimately, this open day is an opportunity to learn more about the firm and use that insight to define my goals for growth over the next few months. Afterwards, I aim to be one step closer to a career in law with RPC.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.