Scenario-based questions

lawstress

Star Member
Nov 24, 2021
Just had a question if anyone could be of any help! I have a VI coming up that's focused on scenario-based questions. I'm just wondering whether in my answers I should say, "in this situation, I would do...", or whether I should give actual examples from my past experiences (like using the STAR method).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just had a question if anyone could be of any help! I have a VI coming up that's focused on scenario-based questions. I'm just wondering whether in my answers I should say, "in this situation, I would do...", or whether I should give actual examples from my past experiences (like using the STAR method).

These questions are meant to be focused on how you would handle that specific situation. It is difficult to rely on past examples where you may have taken a similar approach as it is not the same scenario (people/environment/timelines etc will all be different). I have seen people briefly refer to when they have done similar things, but they don’t go into detail about them and focus that detail on the scenario presented to them instead.

Reactions: TCG

lawstress

Star Member
Nov 24, 2021
These questions are meant to be focused on how you would handle that specific situation. It is difficult to rely on past examples where you may have taken a similar approach as it is not the same scenario (people/environment/timelines etc will all be different). I have seen people briefly refer to when they have done similar things, but they don’t go into detail about them and focus that detail on the scenario presented to them instead.
Thank you that really helps, I appreciate it!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

Instead of using STAR, I'd rely on something like identifying the key issues in the scenario ➡️ summarising what you would do and what you would not do (latter only if relevant) ➡️ giving reasons for your choice(s). Looking through the firm's values/ethos should also help guide your responses. I hope this helps?

Reactions: TCG

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.