Scots law student qualifying in England (SQE?)

AlexSteil

May 6, 2022
Hi, I am currently a final year Scots law student with a TC contact from a firm in London. I was hoping to get some advice on the SQE process as I am finding it all a little overwhelming.

Would it be a good idea to do the SQE Essentials course and then go on to study the LLM in legal practice (SQE 1 & 2)? or Is it better to do the PDGDPL and then go on to do the LLM in legal practice?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I am currently a final year law student with a TC contact from a firm in London. I was hoping to get some advice on the SQE process as I am finding it all a little overwhelming.

Would it be a good idea to do the SQE Essentials course and then go on to study the LLM in legal practice (SQE 1 & 2)? or Is it better to do the PDGDPL and then go on to do the LLM in legal practice?

Thanks in advance.
You are unlikely going to need to do a full PGDL. When the GDL was a requirement, Scots law students typically had exemptions on most modules (land law + one other module was only needed), and so personally I would have thought just going straight to the LLM in legal practice would be sufficient course wise, but that you might need to focus some extra time and effort getting up to speed on English law land (and whatever the other module was that completely escapes me at the moment).

AlexSteil

May 6, 2022
You are unlikely going to need to do a full PGDL. When the GDL was a requirement, Scots law students typically had exemptions on most modules (land law + one other module was only needed), and so personally I would have thought just going straight to the LLM in legal practice would be sufficient course wise, but that you might need to focus some extra time and effort getting up to speed on English law land (and whatever the other module was that completely escapes me at the moment).
Hi Jessica thank you for your help.
I am wondering, does the LLM in legal practice teach me some of the substantive law to do the SQE 1 exams? or would I have to self-teach myself that?

thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica thank you for your help.
I am wondering, does the LLM in legal practice teach me some of the substantive law to do the SQE 1 exams? or would I have to self-teach myself that?

thanks!
You will need to speak to the course provider and get clear details of what it is expected to cover. As there isn’t a specific course requirement for the SQE, it is really up to the course provider to ensure it is tailored to helping you pass the SQE.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.