Sector Focus in Law Firms

nmurphy44

Standard Member
Jan 26, 2023
Hi everyone!

What recent work in one of our sectors interests you and why?
How does the sector approach aid us in servicing clients?

The first half is straight forward, but the second question is confusing me. Is this just a general answer on the benefits of a sector focus for law firms, or should I try and tailor it to the firm? If the latter, how should I go about doing this? Maybe give an example of a deal/case when the firm used their sector expertise to advise clients? I only have around 125 words so I'm really not sure whether I can go into that much depth.

Any advice/thoughts at all would really help!

Last edited:

Jake Rickman

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 42
  • Nov 6, 2020
    The first half is straight forward, but the second question is confusing me. Is this just a general answer on the benefits of a sector focus for law firms, or should I try and tailor it to the firm? If the latter, how should I go about doing this? Maybe give an example of a deal/case when the firm used their sector expertise to advise clients? I only have around 125 words so I'm really not sure whether I can go into that much depth.
    I think you're on the right track. You might try and find a client that they have advised across numerous practice areas. For instance, if the firm has advised XYZ plc on an M&A deal, regulatory matter, and dispute. This demonstrates that the firm can service the full spectrum of the client's needs because it understands the sector in which the client operates better than a firm that takes a traditional "practice area" approach.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

nmurphy44

Standard Member
    Jan 26, 2023
    I think you're on the right track. You might try and find a client that they have advised across numerous practice areas. For instance, if the firm has advised XYZ plc on an M&A deal, regulatory matter, and dispute. This demonstrates that the firm can service the full spectrum of the client's needs because it understands the sector in which the client operates better than a firm that takes a traditional "practice area" approach.
    Thanks Jake, that's a good suggestion. Feel a lot more confident about answering the question now :)

Reactions: Jake Rickman

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.