Self-fund SQE prep course vs wait for TC offer

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Oct 8, 2021
Hey everyone.

I have found a few topics around this but none with my exact situation. I am a final year mature non law student and am currently in my first VS/TC application process. Ideally I want to start my SQE prep ASAP so probably in Sept 2022 as that is when BPP and University of Law begin their courses. I could also go with BARBRI of course, which is cheaper but I will not have access to postgrad funding.

These are the questions I have: firstly, should I wait for the results of this application cycle before accepting a place on an SQE prep course (I suspect the answer to this is yes). In my excited hurry I actually applied to both BPP and University of Law so hold offers for both their SQE preps. I know they are basically businesses, so am I correct in saying that if I did not accept their offers now then I shouldn't have a problem re-applying in a few months and getting accepted again?

Secondly, if I fail to get a TC offer this cycle (which I am aware is a good chance), should I go ahead with an SQE course beginning in Sept 2022 anyway so that I can complete the SQE exams sooner, or is it better to just hold off on those courses altogether until I can get funding? I have enough savings to self-fund but of course I would rather get funded by a law firm.

Thanks you guys, I hope someone can help! :)

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone.

I have found a few topics around this but none with my exact situation. I am a final year mature non law student and am currently in my first VS/TC application process. Ideally I want to start my SQE prep ASAP so probably in Sept 2022 as that is when BPP and University of Law begin their courses. I could also go with BARBRI of course, which is cheaper but I will not have access to postgrad funding.

These are the questions I have: firstly, should I wait for the results of this application cycle before accepting a place on an SQE prep course (I suspect the answer to this is yes). In my excited hurry I actually applied to both BPP and University of Law so hold offers for both their SQE preps. I know they are basically businesses, so am I correct in saying that if I did not accept their offers now then I shouldn't have a problem re-applying in a few months and getting accepted again?

Secondly, if I fail to get a TC offer this cycle (which I am aware is a good chance), should I go ahead with an SQE course beginning in Sept 2022 anyway so that I can complete the SQE exams sooner, or is it better to just hold off on those courses altogether until I can get funding? I have enough savings to self-fund but of course I would rather get funded by a law firm.

Thanks you guys, I hope someone can help! :)
I’d hold out on committing to a SQE course if it doesn’t start until September. Both UoL and BPP will still be selling/promoting that course in late August/early September, so I don’t see any need to commit to it so early.

It then gives you at least 6-7 months to see how your applications go and then make a decision.

Be mindful that passing the SQE assessments potentially puts you in a slightly strange situation where you technically could qualify before you even start a TC. If you didn’t secure a TC this year, it’s likely you will be applying for 2025 intakes in 2022-23. Assuming you passed the SQE in 2023, you could gain your qualifying work experience by/before 2025.

This is one of the odd parts of the new qualification system. In many ways it will become a bit like some other professional qualifications, like the CFA, that you can gain without work experience. And there are lots of CFA chartered candidates who struggle to gain graduate roles, because they are sometimes deemed over qualified but under experienced. The difference between a CFA candidate is that Investment companies are not recruiting 2-3 years in advance (usually 6-12 months), and so a lot of firms may look at candidates who have passed the SQE and think “wouldn’t it be better for you to gain your QWE elsewhere and sooner than 2025?”

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Oct 8, 2021
I’d hold out on committing to a SQE course if it doesn’t start until September. Both UoL and BPP will still be selling/promoting that course in late August/early September, so I don’t see any need to commit to it so early.

It then gives you at least 6-7 months to see how your applications go and then make a decision.

Be mindful that passing the SQE assessments potentially puts you in a slightly strange situation where you technically could qualify before you even start a TC. If you didn’t secure a TC this year, it’s likely you will be applying for 2025 intakes in 2022-23. Assuming you passed the SQE in 2023, you could gain your qualifying work experience by/before 2025.

This is one of the odd parts of the new qualification system. In many ways it will become a bit like some other professional qualifications, like the CFA, that you can gain without work experience. And there are lots of CFA chartered candidates who struggle to gain graduate roles, because they are sometimes deemed over qualified but under experienced. The difference between a CFA candidate is that Investment companies are not recruiting 2-3 years in advance (usually 6-12 months), and so a lot of firms may look at candidates who have passed the SQE and think “wouldn’t it be better for you to gain your QWE elsewhere and sooner than 2025?”
Thank you so much, Jessica, that’s a perfect answer and has answered my questions really well! I will definitely hold fire for now then and cross my fingers for these applications.

gdelle

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2022

This is an old thread, but the first entry when searching on Google.

As a non-law graduate, I’d have to do SQE foundations, SQE1 and SQE2 prep courses. Would self funding the foundations course this autumn ahead of/during the upcoming cycle of TC applications be a brash move?

The GDL also is a proper degree whilst the foundations course for the SQE… can it be used for anything other than qualifying as a solicitor?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.