Should I accept the interview?

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    I know I've asked about this before, but circumstances have somewhat changed and I need a bit more advice. I've added in a bit more context than previously as this is not on the main thread. @Jessica Booker any thoughts?

I currently have a TC offer with NRF. I was also offered a Direct TC interview with Slaughter and May. I decided to withdraw my application for Slaughter and May because:
    • I have a limited time to accept the TC offer with NRF and I don't want to burn bridges by reneging, but the earliest interview slot at Slaughters was in May (i.e. I would have to renege if I subsequently accepted an offer from Slaughters).
    • I got a really good feel for the culture at NRF during my vac scheme and I loved it and really fit in, whereas I'm going off other people's experiences for the culture at Slaughters. I realise that I could have remedied this by trying to visit Slaughters earlier, but I really didn't think I would get to this point in the process, or that I would be in this fortunate position of being able to choose if I should interview. I am also concerned that you cannot accurately judge the culture of a firm based off an interview.
    • I have a special interest in energy and NRF ranks higher than Slaughters for this. Saying that, I'm not 100% sure that I will love energy more than another area after completing a TC but I can't make an informed decision about that until after I have had significant experience in those areas.
    • I don't want to take up an interview slot and deny someone a chance to interview for their dream firm when I'm not completely convinced and already have an offer at NRF (which is pretty dreamy in itself).
    I emailed Slaughters to let them know about my situation and that I was withdrawing. They emailed me back with an offer to make an interview slot available for me 5 months(!) earlier than their booking system allows to next week! They've literally gone out of their way to make this slot available for me. This act has really changed some of my preconceived ideas about the firm and now I think it may be worth going to the interview to see if any of my other ideas about the firm were wrong and if it may be a better place for me than NRF.

I'm really conflicted over this as I realise how lucky I am to be in this situation. I was fully expecting Slaughters to accept the withdrawal and leave it at that. Seeing as they have been flexible for me, I'm now thinking I should extend the same courtesy and try not to let other people's opinions of the firm cloud my personal opinions. Maybe I should accept the interview? Would it be taking someone else's spot if they have specifically rearranged an interview spot earlier?

Either way, I really need someone to kick some sense into me and ground me because I'm struggling to make rational, well thought-out decisions at the moment. I feel like I'm living inside a dream world.

Reactions: divaination

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’d go to the interview.

It’s only if you were certain that NRF is for you and you definitely know you wouldn’t accept Slaughters over them that it would be waste everyone’s time and take an opportunity from someone else.

Reactions: AvniD and j.s.cox

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I know I've asked about this before, but circumstances have somewhat changed and I need a bit more advice. I've added in a bit more context than previously as this is not on the main thread. @Jessica Booker any thoughts?

I currently have a TC offer with NRF. I was also offered a Direct TC interview with Slaughter and May. I decided to withdraw my application for Slaughter and May because:
    • I have a limited time to accept the TC offer with NRF and I don't want to burn bridges by reneging, but the earliest interview slot at Slaughters was in May (i.e. I would have to renege if I subsequently accepted an offer from Slaughters).
    • I got a really good feel for the culture at NRF during my vac scheme and I loved it and really fit in, whereas I'm going off other people's experiences for the culture at Slaughters. I realise that I could have remedied this by trying to visit Slaughters earlier, but I really didn't think I would get to this point in the process, or that I would be in this fortunate position of being able to choose if I should interview. I am also concerned that you cannot accurately judge the culture of a firm based off an interview.
    • I have a special interest in energy and NRF ranks higher than Slaughters for this. Saying that, I'm not 100% sure that I will love energy more than another area after completing a TC but I can't make an informed decision about that until after I have had significant experience in those areas.
    • I don't want to take up an interview slot and deny someone a chance to interview for their dream firm when I'm not completely convinced and already have an offer at NRF (which is pretty dreamy in itself).
    I emailed Slaughters to let them know about my situation and that I was withdrawing. They emailed me back with an offer to make an interview slot available for me 5 months(!) earlier than their booking system allows to next week! They've literally gone out of their way to make this slot available for me. This act has really changed some of my preconceived ideas about the firm and now I think it may be worth going to the interview to see if any of my other ideas about the firm were wrong and if it may be a better place for me than NRF.

I'm really conflicted over this as I realise how lucky I am to be in this situation. I was fully expecting Slaughters to accept the withdrawal and leave it at that. Seeing as they have been flexible for me, I'm now thinking I should extend the same courtesy and try not to let other people's opinions of the firm cloud my personal opinions. Maybe I should accept the interview? Would it be taking someone else's spot if they have specifically rearranged an interview spot earlier?

Either way, I really need someone to kick some sense into me and ground me because I'm struggling to make rational, well thought-out decisions at the moment. I feel like I'm living inside a dream world.
    I'd say go for the interview - you have to do what's best for you and I think having this experience will enable you to make a decision about your TC in a more informed and less regretful manner. Let us know what you choose in the end!

Reactions: j.s.cox

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.