Should I be applying for vac schemes or training contracts?

techny13

Oct 29, 2020
So I graduated from uni this summer in a non-law humanities degree and started working in a consulting firm last month. Very quickly realising that consulting isn’t for me and that I'd be more suited to law, but having already graduated/started work, I'm not sure whether I should be applying to vac schemes or TCs.

In terms of academics/experience, my cv is pretty good (graduated with a 1st, all A*s/As at A level/GCSE, strong extracurriculars). However, I have virtually no legal experience, so I'm assuming it might make more sense to apply to vac schemes(?). The only issue is that applications for winter vac schemes are mostly closed, so I’m limited to summer vac schemes, which would mean 6 more months of no legal experience and potentially having to wait another year to reapply if I don’t get any offers.

I’ve signed up to loads of virtual law careers fairs/recruiting events over the next few weeks to hopefully gain more careers insight, but with regards to actual applications, am I better off going straight for TCs, or are vac schemes the more realistic option? I'm mainly interested in MC and a few American firms, so conscious of no legal experience with the added competition.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
The only other thing to note is your interest in American firms. Quite a few of them either only recruit from vac schemes (Davis Polk, Shearman & Sterling, Sidey Austin etc) or recruit overwhelmingly from their vac schemes (Skadden, Kirkland & Ellis etc). Kirkland & Ellis in particular is notorious for doing this. For such firms, a vac scheme application might be a better idea.

Reactions: James Kitching

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The only other thing to note is your interest in American firms. Quite a few of them either only recruit from vac schemes (Davis Polk, Shearman & Sterling, Sidey Austin etc) or recruit overwhelmingly from their vac schemes (Skadden, Kirkland & Ellis etc). Kirkland & Ellis in particular is notorious for doing this. For such firms, a vac scheme application might be a better idea.

Smaller intakes will do that - I don’t think this is unique to US firms, it’s just they tend to have the smaller intakes.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.