Should I disclose a TC to firms?

DisposeABowl

Dec 9, 2020
I am a penultimate year student with a training contract from an MC first year programme. Is it desirable to disclose the training contract on my application work sections? If I have already submitted an application for a firm, should I notify them or only disclose when asked in an interview?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I am a penultimate year student with a training contract from an MC first year programme. Is it desirable to disclose the training contract on my application work sections? If I have already submitted an application for a firm, should I notify them or only disclose when asked in an interview?

Presumably you haven't accepted the training contract offer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    As Jaysen has alluded to, there is a difference between being offered and having accepted an offer.

Plenty of First year offerees don’t have to accept their offer until mid September as they go into their final year of university. If it is the case you are holding that offer until September, then you can disclose it.

If you have accepted that offer, then technically you shouldn’t really be applying elsewhere (and should withdraw from other firms).

Reactions: Jaysen

DisposeABowl

Dec 9, 2020
    As Jaysen has alluded to, there is a difference between being offered and having accepted an offer.

Plenty of First year offerees don’t have to accept their offer until mid September as they go into their final year of university. If it is the case you are holding that offer until September, then you can disclose it.

If you have accepted that offer, then technically you shouldn’t really be applying elsewhere (and should withdraw from other firms).
    Presumably you haven't accepted the training contract offer?

I have not accepted the offer and don't have to accept it until much later. I was mainly wondering whether firms may view it negatively if disclosed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have not accepted the offer and don't have to accept it until much later. I was mainly wondering whether firms may view it negatively if disclosed

Would only be looked at negatively if the firm was wildly different to the one you had secured your TC with (eg small, domestic niche firm vs exceptionally large, international full service firm).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.