Should I reach out to interviewers after a successful AC, and how should I decide whether to go for Spring or Summer??

lawgrad123445

Standard Member
Jun 18, 2020
2 questions:

1) I just received a VS offer from a US firm, and I was thinking of maybe emailing one or two of the interviewers I felt I had built good rapport with, with the idea that I can start building relationships with some lawyers at the firm, and so I can also reach out to them straight away for work during the VS (one of the lawyers does work in a practice I am interested in). Should I do that (for all interviewers?) and if so what should be in the email?

2) I am allowed a choice between Spring and Summer, quite torn between this decision and would appreciate some advice. I think the main consideration is whether it makes a material difference on my chances of converting to a full-time offer, so if there are any factors relating to this I would really appreciate anyone sharing.

Thanks as always for all the help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
First of all, a massive congratulations on securing a VS with a US firm.

1) if you are going to reach out to them, I’d contact all of them - it would be slightly odd to leave people out. It isn’t necessary to contact them though, and I only recommend it really if you are given their email address or their email addresses are very easy to find on their website. It’s unlikely you will be able to get work from them on a vacation scheme too though. It would be most appropriate to just wait until you know who your supervisor/team is and get work from them. If you do email them, keep it short and sweet, just thanking them for the opportunity to join the firm and that you look forward to potentially catching up with them during your scheme.

2) It won’t make a material difference. There are not any factors that will influence your decision purely based on when the scheme is.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
2 questions:

1) I just received a VS offer from a US firm, and I was thinking of maybe emailing one or two of the interviewers I felt I had built good rapport with, with the idea that I can start building relationships with some lawyers at the firm, and so I can also reach out to them straight away for work during the VS (one of the lawyers does work in a practice I am interested in). Should I do that (for all interviewers?) and if so what should be in the email?

2) I am allowed a choice between Spring and Summer, quite torn between this decision and would appreciate some advice. I think the main consideration is whether it makes a material difference on my chances of converting to a full-time offer, so if there are any factors relating to this I would really appreciate anyone sharing.

Thanks as always for all the help!
You could change the body of your email by adding more/less detail and follow up in the future too depending on who you built more of a rapport with but I agree with Jessica when she says that leaving people out when you've made the effort to email your interviewers would be slightly odd. Congrats on your VS offer btw! 👏👏👏

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.