Should I reassess my career?

diligentbean

Jan 9, 2023
Hi all,

for background, I’m just about to finish my LPC-LLM at BPP and work as an in-house paralegal in financial services. For the life of me, I cannot pass online assessments for law firms (I’ve never gotten past this stage in the 5 years I’ve been applying). No matter how many I practice, be they situational, Watson glaser, etc I just can’t seem to pass onto the next round. Should I re-evaluate a city law career?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can you not look to qualify at your current place - given you’ve already paid for the LPC they’ll only have to support you do ‘three’ seats and it doesn’t need to be that formal?
They don't even need to do three seats if they choose to qualify via the SQE. The three seats might help qualify via equivalent means, but for a traditional training contract, their employer would need to be a recognised trainer.

diligentbean

Jan 9, 2023
Have you tried targeting firms without an online element?
I haven’t, as most of them seem to require online testing, even some in-house TCs :/ I enjoy commercial and corporate law a lot and don’t really see myself doing anything else, but I just can’t pass online testing. I am on the fence of giving up but have no idea what else I’d enjoy, I haven’t come across anything else yet that excites me.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I haven’t, as most of them seem to require online testing, even some in-house TCs :/ I enjoy commercial and corporate law a lot and don’t really see myself doing anything else, but I just can’t pass online testing. I am on the fence of giving up but have no idea what else I’d enjoy, I haven’t come across anything else yet that excites me.
I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with this! How do you generally practice for these assessments? What's your strategy in approaching them?

Reactions: diligentbean

diligentbean

Jan 9, 2023
I'm sorry to hear that you've been struggling with this! How do you generally practice for these assessments? What's your strategy in approaching them?
Hi

I do as many of the free ones online as possible, take feedback, rinse and repeat. I paid for 1 month access in the past and saved some papers from that too that I use to practice/ check answers for.

Regarding situationals, I present my ‘best working self’ (e.g. I’m very introverted but consciously challenge myself to develop at work, so I don’t appear as introverted as I am in private). My mum works in HR so I also discuss practice scenarios with her, as she has overseen online assessment screening in the corporate world for many years.

Other than that, I try to strike a balance between speed and accuracy, although will always choose accuracy over speed if need be (especially where assessments aren’t strictly timed). I ensure I’m not disturbed and plan in time to sit the actual thing.

FutureLawyer99

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Dec 28, 2021
I highly recommend TCLA’s silver or gold membership! They have some fantastic resources for online tests. Have you also visited BBP’s Careerhub resources? There’s some really good ones for the online test. But, personally I would recommend TCLA’s membership courses because, before this year, I really struggled with online tests too and it’s only this year that I’ve managed to pass quite a few.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi

I do as many of the free ones online as possible, take feedback, rinse and repeat. I paid for 1 month access in the past and saved some papers from that too that I use to practice/ check answers for.

Regarding situationals, I present my ‘best working self’ (e.g. I’m very introverted but consciously challenge myself to develop at work, so I don’t appear as introverted as I am in private). My mum works in HR so I also discuss practice scenarios with her, as she has overseen online assessment screening in the corporate world for many years.

Other than that, I try to strike a balance between speed and accuracy, although will always choose accuracy over speed if need be (especially where assessments aren’t strictly timed). I ensure I’m not disturbed and plan in time to sit the actual thing.
Hi @diligentbean, it looks like you've been hitting all the right notes. Your feedback for the practice tests is generally good?

Love that you discuss SJT scenarios with your mum - such a good way to practice!

I'm unable to understand what may be going wrong - maybe I'm missing something. What does your instinct say? Is there something you think that changes your performance from practice to actual tests?

diligentbean

Jan 9, 2023
I highly recommend TCLA’s silver or gold membership! They have some fantastic resources for online tests. Have you also visited BBP’s Careerhub resources? There’s some really good ones for the online test. But, personally I would recommend TCLA’s membership courses because, before this year, I really struggled with online tests too and it’s only this year that I’ve managed to pass quite a few.
I might save up for a short period of membership for the next round, thank you for the recommendation

Reactions: FutureLawyer99

diligentbean

Jan 9, 2023
Hi @diligentbean, it looks like you've been hitting all the right notes. Your feedback for the practice tests is generally good?

Love that you discuss SJT scenarios with your mum - such a good way to practice!

I'm unable to understand what may be going wrong - maybe I'm missing something. What does your instinct say? Is there something you think that changes your performance from practice to actual tests?
Thank you for the detailed response. My instinct says I should just give up tbh 😂 so I’m really at a loss, I thought I did particularly well this year compared to other years as I dedicated time to practicing. And yeah, I usually hit the 70-80% range, higher with extended practice.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

Rae_K

Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 13, 2020
Definitely second the advice to apply to firms that do not require STJ and WG tests. Some good firms like Travers Smith, Jones Day, Shearman etc do not use them for example. I have the biggest, irrational fear for those tests too 😭🤣 and I have managed to secure 2 VS from the firms that do not use the online tests!

Best of luck!👍

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Also from another perspective - are you definitely sure it's the online testing that's your stumbling block or could it be another part of your application? Many firms use online testing as a minimum benchmark and then go on to review your application if you meet their benchmark (so you could be meeting the benchmark but then not getting through the application screening stage). I could be completely wrong but it might also be worth reviewing the other elements of your application to ensure they are as strong as possible. All the best!

aniraz

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    Off the top of my head, these are some firms that don't have an online test:
    Macfarlanes
    Farrer & Co
    Slaughter and May
    Travers Smith

These firms have a video interview but no 'test':
    Vinson & Elkins
    Mishcon de Reya
    White & Case
    Ince
    Weil

There are probably more that I've forgotten!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

diligentbean

Jan 9, 2023
    Hi all, sorry I didn’t note the last few replies! Thank you for your suggestions :) and yes I think it’s my test performance as I usually make it to the tests after submitting the initial app with the set questions (but of course I cannot be certain it’s this).

Sharon Wu

Distinguished Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    Hi all,

for background, I’m just about to finish my LPC-LLM at BPP and work as an in-house paralegal in financial services. For the life of me, I cannot pass online assessments for law firms (I’ve never gotten past this stage in the 5 years I’ve been applying). No matter how many I practice, be they situational, Watson glaser, etc I just can’t seem to pass onto the next round. Should I re-evaluate a city law career?
    Hey, how are you getting on? How did it turn out for you?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.