Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

In the applications forum, we have seen threads go off on long tangents on subjects we like to debate and discuss.

We like these conversations - we think they can bring a different dynamic to the forums and can often help to educate our members. However, we do recognise they derail threads so much so that they may not help some members navigate through content and find the answers they are looking for. If someone is asking a genuine question related to the threads theme, it can often be drowned out by long posts and back-and-forth discussions.

So we wondered if there should be a general "debate" thread where people can go to have these conversations. Despite me suggesting it, I can see the downsides of such a thread at the same time - it might not always be a productive way for our members to engage their time! But I am keen to get your thoughts rather than go with my own biases...

We want the forums to be the best they can be, and we can only do that with your thoughts on how the forums practically work for you all. So your thoughts, whether by the poll above or in comment format would be appreciated!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I don't know about a general debate thread, but I would quite like to see a dedicated space in the forums for discussion/advice about alternative law careers (especially applying for paralegal work) that goes a bit beyond what you can see in the General Discussion section. It's obviously not ideal given that we all want to be solicitors, but the reality is that a large number of us may not receive a TC as quickly as we want, but will want a way to keep ourselves in the legal sphere. Alternatively, some of us might have TCs lined up but not be due to start for a year or so and want something to do. Not to mention, roles in law tech grad schemes and other emerging disciplines could also be included as well.

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Rather than a debate thread, I think there should be a separate sub-forum (for example, like 'Application Discussions' or 'Vacation Scheme Discussions') where people could post individual threads to discuss individual debate topics. This way there wouldn't be tonnes of debates happening alongside one another within a single thread and it would be less cluttered and probably more civil.

Roomba

Feb 4, 2021
    I don't know about a general debate thread, but I would quite like to see a dedicated space in the forums for discussion/advice about alternative law careers (especially applying for paralegal work) that goes a bit beyond what you can see in the General Discussion section. It's obviously not ideal given that we all want to be solicitors, but the reality is that a large number of us may not receive a TC as quickly as we want, but will want a way to keep ourselves in the legal sphere. Alternatively, some of us might have TCs lined up but not be due to start for a year or so and want something to do. Not to mention, roles in law tech grad schemes and other emerging disciplines could also be included as well.
    I think this is an excellent idea!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Rather than a debate thread, I think there should be a separate sub-forum (for example, like 'Application Discussions' or 'Vacation Scheme Discussions') where people could post individual threads to discuss individual debate topics. This way there wouldn't be tonnes of debates happening alongside one another within a single thread and it would be less cluttered and probably more civil.
    Excellent idea.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So despite the overwhelming "yes" responses to the poll, we have decided not to create a debate thread.

The key reason for this is we don't think it is going to be a productive resource for members.

An open debate thread will encourage people to debate anything and everything, and there are plenty of other ways or places people who want to take time out of their day to debate can do this. We don't think it is really aligns with the aims of this forum and we are concerned it would lead to too many unhealthy conversations (a la Legal Cheek comments and RollonFriday) and also some people just coming online to pick a fight/be a PITA.

We understand debates will happen in threads from time to time though. If these take over specific threads like we have seen with the Vacation Scheme thread, as moderators we will take that conversation away and place it elsewhere so that it doesn't disrupt people who are just trying to get updates or learn.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.