Show me the basics...

LondonProspect

Sep 10, 2020
Hey everyone,

I'm a complete and utter beginner to both this site and corporate law in general. I have a (very) basic understanding of TC's, but that's where my knowledge ends. I was wondering if anyone on this site can walk me through the interview process/qualifications needed/firms i need to know; or just link a couple threads or something. For background, I'm 15 and currently debating a career in Law or IB. Based on my knowledge of IB so far (a lot of family friends' experiences), I'd definitely say IB>law. I want to research more into corp. law though, to give it a fighting chance.

Any and every help will be appreciated. Thanks.

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone,

I'm a complete and utter beginner to both this site and corporate law in general. I have a (very) basic understanding of TC's, but that's where my knowledge ends. I was wondering if anyone on this site can walk me through the interview process/qualifications needed/firms i need to know; or just link a couple threads or something. For background, I'm 15 and currently debating a career in Law or IB. Based on my knowledge of IB so far (a lot of family friends' experiences), I'd definitely say IB>law. I want to research more into corp. law though, to give it a fighting chance.

- You’ll need any degree (or equivalent level qualification, like a level 6 apprenticeship). You’ll typically be supported through your professional qualifications (SQE) after securing a job, but can choose to self fund those if you wanted to.

- interview process will be very similar to Investment Banks - but will vary between firms. A recruitment process could consist of any of the following:

- Online application form
- Psychometric tests
- Video/telephone interview
- Assessment centres with anything including: face to face interview, case study exercise, group exercise, presentation, written exercise

You might want to read this:

https://online.flippingbook.com/view/540267/

LondonProspect

Sep 10, 2020
- You’ll need any degree (or equivalent level qualification, like a level 6 apprenticeship). You’ll typically be supported through your professional qualifications (SQE) after securing a job, but can choose to self fund those if you wanted to.

- interview process will be very similar to Investment Banks - but will vary between firms. A recruitment process could consist of any of the following:

- Online application form
- Psychometric tests
- Video/telephone interview
- Assessment centres with anything including: face to face interview, case study exercise, group exercise, presentation, written exercise

You might want to read this:

Ah thanks for this. Its a great resource, thank you very much.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone,

We’re a bit lacking in beginner resources at the moment, so the link Jess added above is probably your best bet.

A big welcome to the forum and corporate law though. It can seem quite overwhelming to start with, so do feel free to post any more questions in this thread if you have some.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alice G and Nat000

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    @LondonProspect

It's amazing you are thinking about this so early! Welcome to the forum and I hope we can help you, through our resources, decide which is best for you :) If you have any questions about what the day-to-day life of a commercial lawyer might look like or if you are unsure about anything you have read, please feel free to ask us and we will try our best to help :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.