Sidley application

reedyboy

Star Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Apr 24, 2020
    Hey everyone,

just a quick question, Sidley Austin states on their wesbite that "You’ll need to have a minimum of three A-levels (at least three A grades)", I just want to check if this is a strict AAA, or if they would accept equivalent grades e.g A*AB?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone,

just a quick question, Sidley Austin states on their wesbite that "You’ll need to have a minimum of three A-levels (at least three A grades)", I just want to check if this is a strict AAA, or if they would accept equivalent grades e.g A*AB?

To me this suggests 3 As at A-level grades, otherwise it would say equivalent to three As at A-level.

So you could have A*AAB but not A*AB.. (which seems a bit silly and also is very unhelpful to anyone who only had the ability to study three A-levels at college)...

But might be worthwhile contacting them to ask/check.

Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

reedyboy

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Apr 24, 2020
    Thanks very much. That is what I was thinking but just wanted to double check, I have emailed them as well.

I definitely rue the day I picked Chemistry A Level.

JR-07

May 2, 2020
    To me this suggests 3 As at A-level grades, otherwise it would say equivalent to three As at A-level.

So you could have A*AAB but not A*AB.. (which seems a bit silly and also is very unhelpful to anyone who only had the ability to study three A-levels at college)...

But might be worthwhile contacting them to ask/check.

Hi Jessica,

Just wondering if you know what IB Diploma score is equivalent to AAA? My score is 40/45 (765 HL) - if you use the total points it's AAA+, but if you just use the HLs then it would be A*AB.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Just wondering if you know what IB Diploma score is equivalent to AAA? My score is 40/45 (765 HL) - if you use the total points it's AAA+, but if you just use the HLs then it would be A*AB.

I don’t know the specifics unfortunately. This is why policies such as saying you must have 3 A grades are stupid though, as they don’t translate well to other systems.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I called the graduate recruiter and she said that each application is read no matter what. They expect strong academics across the board but I got the impression there is room for leeway and definitely equivalent qualifications!
    Thank you for sharing the outcome of your conversation :) :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Response 1
    For people like me who did their A levels equivalent overseas (in my case, I was taking the HKDSE 2 years ago), and got a pretty bad grade (that's equivalent to AEE), but an anticipated 2:1 (that's 61 for me in 2nd year), do firms that need a minimum requirement of AAB-equivalent generally take into account that I was doing a 7-8 subject curriculum (unlike in A-levels where you get to do 3 subjects only)?

And realistically, if I am to apply for MC firms/SC firms, what do I need to work more on, in order to compensate for the weakness in academic respect? For instance, would a master degree, or valuable work experience that (will) last for a couple of years be sufficient?

Replied here

Response 1

Reactions: Kevin Chan

v123

Valued Member
    Jan 16, 2019
    Hey guys,

Has anyone who completed the Sidley Austin application form noticed they only allow you to enter a maximum of four work experiences?

I don't see an option to add any further work experiences but thought this seemed strange. Can anyone please confirm if they see the same? :)

Many thanks!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.