Sidley Austin Open Day

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I have - I attended last year. There was not may of us there - 25 tops?

Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

biosparasemos

Feb 16, 2020
I have - I attended last year. There was not may of us there - 25 tops?

Is there anything specific you'd like to know?
By virtue of you saying that there were not many of you there, I'm guessing it's a hard one to get?

Do you remember how many weeks warning you were given of the outcome of your application?

Oh also, whilst you're here lol. Did you go to the Vinson & Elkins open day?

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
By virtue of you saying that there were not many of you there, I'm guessing it's a hard one to get?

Do you remember how many weeks warning you were given of the outcome of your application?

Oh also, whilst you're here lol. Did you go to the Vinson & Elkins open day?

It was a little different for me - I applied to go to an event with them that they had to cancel, and as a thank you, they invited me to their open day. A freebie!

I got the impression that it was an open day that wasn't overly publicised and had a low uptake. Or, it was incredibly competitive! For reference, I don't think any open day is "hard to get". Most simply accept whoever applies, with only the significantly oversubscribed events being remotely difficult.

I did do the Vinson & Elkins Open Day - is there anything you'd like to know?

biosparasemos

Feb 16, 2020
It was a little different for me - I applied to go to an event with them that they had to cancel, and as a thank you, they invited me to their open day. A freebie!

I got the impression that it was an open day that wasn't overly publicised and had a low uptake. Or, it was incredibly competitive! For reference, I don't think any open day is "hard to get". Most simply accept whoever applies, with only the significantly oversubscribed events being remotely difficult.

I did do the Vinson & Elkins Open Day - is there anything you'd like to know?
Oh I see! I've had another firm cancel their open day due to the spread of coronavirus.

How was the VE open day? Is it worth going to? I think I've probably applied to most of the ones that you went on. Are any worth a miss/ or are any particularly good?

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Oh I see! I've had another firm cancel their open day due to the spread of coronavirus.

How was the VE open day? Is it worth going to? I think I've probably applied to most of the ones that you went on. Are any worth a miss/ or are any particularly good?

V&E was great. It's a small office and for the drinks, SO MANY people came down to chat. It was almost a 1:1 ratio of attendees and staff members. The drinks also never stopped.

On top of that, the water bottle I got is amazing! Holds hold and cold, without hurting your hands. Not that you should judge your open day experience on the quality of the merch though... :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Daniel Boden

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
No, Sidley Austin

Well, aside from what can be found on the internet.

They are developing their PE and Life Sciences practices, having recently taken partners from Kirkland (PE) and Bristows (Life Sciences). In life sciences, they see Covington as their only real competitor.

Their London office is looking to generate its own work as opposed to being a silo for the US.

I didn't apply there this year so I am only going off some of my old notes! There are a few members on this board who have VS's there though. They may be the best point of call (@Abgaal) for one!

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Actually have another question. How far in advance of the open day did you receive your offer? I still haven't heard back from them

Well, as I mentioned. It was a little different for me.

If it helps; last year I received an email on 21st February about the open day, which was happening on the 5th March.

Natalie Black

Distinguished Member
Aug 13, 2018
Well, aside from what can be found on the internet.

They are developing their PE and Life Sciences practices, having recently taken partners from Kirkland (PE) and Bristows (Life Sciences). In life sciences, they see Covington as their only real competitor.

Their London office is looking to generate its own work as opposed to being a silo for the US.

I didn't apply there this year so I am only going off some of my old notes! There are a few members on this board who have VS's there though. They may be the best point of call (@Abgaal) for one!

Hi D,

Thank you. Thanks really helpful.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I'm expecting this open day to be cancelled, along with the Latham one

It's a possibility for sure. One thing I will say - as an open day veteran, there is a limited amount of information you can get about the day when you go, so, don't be disheartened if it gets called off. It is nice to have that tangible connection to the firm when relaying your evidence in your answers on your application form, but, you can still be wildly successful without it.

Reactions: Helena

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.