axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi

Does anyone have any tips for the Simmons blended assessment please? Especially the VI portion, not sure what to prepare... thanks so much!
I think that it is important to treat it like an actual interview, so dress smart casual and prepare really hard for your answers.
Some tips that I would give are:
Preparing for a video interview for a law firm application is crucial, as it can significantly impact your chances of landing a job. Here are some tips to help you excel in your video interview:

Test Your Technology:
  • Ensure your internet connection is stable.
  • Use a computer or laptop with a webcam, microphone, and speakers.
Choose a Professional Setting:
  • Select a quiet, well-lit, and clutter-free location for the interview.
  • Make sure the background is professional and not distracting.
Dress Professionally:
  • Dress in formal business attire, just as you would for an in-person interview.
Practice and Prepare:
  • Research the law firm thoroughly, including its culture, practice areas, recent cases, and notable attorneys.
  • Review common interview questions and prepare concise, well-structured answers.
  • Record yourself to evaluate your body language, tone, and responses.
Showcase Your Skills and Experience:
  • Be ready to discuss your resume, emphasizing relevant experience, skills, and accomplishments.
  • Highlight any legal internships, clerkships, or coursework relevant to the firm's practice areas.
Behavioral Questions:
  • Expect behavioral questions that assess your teamwork, problem-solving, and communication skills.
  • Use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) method to structure your responses.
Body Language:
  • Maintain eye contact with the camera, not the screen.
  • Sit up straight and engage in active listening.
  • Avoid distracting habits like fidgeting or excessive hand gestures.
Stay Calm and Confident:
  • Nervousness is normal, but try to stay composed and confident throughout the interview.
  • Take your time to think before answering questions, and don't rush.
I hope that these are useful to you and as always BE YOURSELF. This is the biggest piece of advice that I can give to someone, as long as you tried to convey the person that you are, everything will be fine!

For the assessment specifically I would recommend to brush up your math since it is very math heavy and quite numerical which throws off many students! (as we mostly do law to avoid math😂) and be confident with logical or cognitive games, which can be helpful. I would say that if you can practice with finance test applications you are giving yourself a good practicing experience in my opinion!

Good luck with that! @jamesbaillie

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.