Simmons & Simmons Tests , Written Exercise & Video Interview

anon101

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 2, 2020
Hi everyone!

I just got an invite to the Simmons & Simmons logical reasoning & verbal reasoning tests as well as the written exercise and video interview. I searched on the forum and haven't found any advice for these assessments so I thought I'd start this thread.

If anyone has taken these assessments, can you please share any tips and advice? Especially for the written exercise and video interview, I'd appreciate it if you can share the format of the assessment and what to expect.

Thank you so much!

Reactions: MLA and Ryan B

Kola

Legendary Member
Sep 27, 2020
Hey!

I got rejected from Simmons & Simmons post-test. The tests that they gave were Korn Ferry I believe but they were extremely difficult - an opinion that you will find is echoed throughout this forum (not to put you off, just a fair warning). I would advise that you practice the Korn Ferry practice tests to prepare, but note that the Simmons tests will be more difficult.

As for the written exercise, I had 10 minutes (i think) to read a page of information. The information was presented into 10 bullet points. You had to read the information and then summarise it to the best of your abilities after reading the instructions given. Pretty straightforward.

The video interview had 5 questions. I would tell you, but I completely forgot what they were. It goes by incredibly quickly, you only have 60 seconds to answer. From what I do remember though, none of the questions were particularly challenging.

Good luck!

NextStageOfTheApplication

Distinguished Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Nov 12, 2020
    Hey!

I got rejected from Simmons & Simmons post-test. The tests that they gave were Korn Ferry I believe but they were extremely difficult - an opinion that you will find is echoed throughout this forum (not to put you off, just a fair warning). I would advise that you practice the Korn Ferry practice tests to prepare, but note that the Simmons tests will be more difficult.

As for the written exercise, I had 10 minutes (i think) to read a page of information. The information was presented into 10 bullet points. You had to read the information and then summarise it to the best of your abilities after reading the instructions given. Pretty straightforward.

The video interview had 5 questions. I would tell you, but I completely forgot what they were. It goes by incredibly quickly, you only have 60 seconds to answer. From what I do remember though, none of the questions were particularly challenging.

Good luck!

Hi, how did you practice for the SJT test?

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    I have just received an invite for the reasoning tests and VI/written exercise. If anyone can give me some advice or useful information about any part of this stage I would really appreciate it!

Hey, to be honest the logical test is pretty hard - I did the practice one they provided but the actual one seemed even trickier! The verbal reasoning test felt more standard.

The written test was a document that had to be summarised in 12 minutes and the VI was the most straightforward - I'm pretty sure it gave 30 seconds to prep and then 90 seconds to answer the question but you can stop it before if needed. Definitely practice answering questions to the camera - it feels a bit weird so is good to get used to! Good luck!

Has anyone heard anything post-VI/tests?

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Did the practice verbal test and found it fairly self explanatory, no big issues.

However I just did the practice logical test and I found that really really hard. I scored "average" in the end which I was surprised about--there were only a few that I was able to answer. Feel so out of practice with these, I did maths to A level and could probably figure things out then... now I just stare at damned little arrows!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hey, to be honest the logical test is pretty hard - I did the practice one they provided but the actual one seemed even trickier! The verbal reasoning test felt more standard.

The written test was a document that had to be summarised in 12 minutes and the VI was the most straightforward - I'm pretty sure it gave 30 seconds to prep and then 90 seconds to answer the question but you can stop it before if needed. Definitely practice answering questions to the camera - it feels a bit weird so is good to get used to! Good luck!

Has anyone heard anything post-VI/tests?

Heya mate,

Bit of a late applicant to S&S here but here ya go. Where can you find Korn Ferry tests to practice? At the same time, what kind of questions does the VI ask? Is it basic why law, why simmons stuff since they have hardly asked for anything on the application form? Or is it more competency-based?

I'd be very grateful if you could give me some pointers.

HopeLaw1997

Feb 24, 2021
    Heya mate,

Bit of a late applicant to S&S here but here ya go. Where can you find Korn Ferry tests to practice? At the same time, what kind of questions does the VI ask? Is it basic why law, why simmons stuff since they have hardly asked for anything on the application form? Or is it more competency-based?

I'd be very grateful if you could give me some pointers.
    Hi there, Im about to do my VI and i wondered whether you had done yours yet?? What kinds of questions do they ask? thanks so much!

Lonchaopd29641

Jan 13, 2023
    I did the test and can honestly say it’s so hard and stupid. It doesn’t indicate whether you are a good worker. I scored low on “situational judgment”. Ended up working in a smaller firm. Much happier for it too. Good luck for those applying though. Might as well guess the questions.

Hi everyone!

I just got an invite to the Simmons & Simmons logical reasoning & verbal reasoning tests as well as the written exercise and video interview. I searched on the forum and haven't found any advice for these assessments so I thought I'd start this thread.

If anyone has taken these assessments, can you please share any tips and advice? Especially for the written exercise and video interview, I'd appreciate it if you can share the format of the assessment and what to expect.

Thank you so much!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.