SJT.

SameerS

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
Hey Jaysen, I have always struggled with situational judgement questions. Not too long ago I was faced with heaps of these questions in the interview and due to my inability, I lost out on a prestigious vac scheme despite all my hard work.

I was wondering how does one apparoach these questions, perhaps you can take me step by step of this particular question

You just started your training contract. Your supervisor has given you a task that needs to be presented to the client in 7 days time, you have been working on this particular task. You know you have gaps in your knowledge on that subject area and now you are extremely busy with other matters.

What would you do?

Reactions: Jai C.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey Jaysen, I have always struggled with situational judgement questions. Not too long ago I was faced with heaps of these questions in the interview and due to my inability, I lost out on a prestigious vac scheme despite all my hard work.

I was wondering how does one apparoach these questions, perhaps you can take me step by step of this particular question

You just started your training contract. Your supervisor has given you a task that needs to be presented to the client in 7 days time, you have been working on this particular task. You know you have gaps in your knowledge on that subject area and now you are extremely busy with other matters.

What would you do?

Hi Sameer,

I'm sorry to hear that. Were you able to get feedback on your answers?

I can't say I have a particular way of approaching situational judgement questions. My advice would be to just make sure you understand the role and responsibilities of a trainee solicitor and their position within a law firm. When you are asked a question, take your time and have a clear reason in mind for why you are taking a particular course of action. While you do need to give an appropriate answer, don't try to reason for the sake of impressing. Instead, try to put yourself in the scenario and consider your course of action from that perspective.

I can tell you how I would answer the scenario, but remember, I answer in a particular way because I have been in a similar situation. Your answer to this question may well not be the same.
    1. Make sure I understand what is involved in the client presentation and try to estimate how much time it would take to prepare. Add some generous time onto that to cater for gaps in my knowledge.
    2. Inform my supervisor of my situation just so that he or she is aware.
    3. Make a note of the client presentation in my to-do-list.
    4. Determine how long the existing matters will take - I may need to speak to other people to find this out.
    5. On the basis of that information, if I judge that I will have time to prepare for the presentation, then carve out that time in my diary. When the time comes, I will then research and/or speak to people to fill the gaps for the presentation.
    6. If my work won't clear up, or by day 2 or 3 I realise that I will not have enough time to prepare for the presentation, or that other urgent issues may crop up then go back to my supervisor and explain the situation.
    7. Make it clear that I want to help, but I don't want to risk being unprepared. If another person is picked, I can suggest I bring the person up to speed on the topic as I have been working on the task. I can then carve out some time in my diary to explain what I have been working on and anyone that is worth speaking to. I can also help (time-permitting) the person prepare for the presentation.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.