Skadden Interview

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
From a Skadden future trainee.

The AC is structured into 3 parts: an interview with a partner + associate, a group exercise, and a panel discussion (consisting of graduate recruitment, a trainee, an associate and a partner).

Interview

Nothing out of the ordinary here. The partner and associate will have the candidate's application form and CV with them and it will typically just be a discussion of things from these. Most interviews tend to revolve around the candidate's interests, extra curriculars, achievements, leadership roles, motivation behind why Skadden, etc. The interviews tend to be very organic and evolve naturally through the answers given by the candidate and what is on their application form, rather than Skadden having a prescribed set of questions to get through. The main advice I have is to come across enthusiastic, confident and relaxed. Nail those three things along with articulate answers and the candidate should come across very well.

Group Exercise

This varies year on year but will likely consist of working in a pair, having to discuss together an issue/scenario, coming up with an articulate answer and discussing it with the room (all the other candidates plus a few Skadden associates/graduate recruitment). If working in pairs make sure neither dominates and that both of you participate. If discussing something with the rest of the room be receptive to counter arguments and views; try not to take too hard line approach and be open to discussion. The firm is not trying to test your technical knowledge of a particular area in this assessment. Rather, it is the soft skills, the ability to think on your feet, to craft an argument and to persuade eloquently to a group of others. Again, my main advice here is to come across confident, relaxed and articulate.

Panel Discussion

Very simple - ask questions! I don't know how Skadden evaluates candidates here, but I think it's simply a case of demonstrating that you are interested in learning more about the firm, its people and their stories. To excel here I would recommend doing basic research beforehand, such as reading the Skadden Chambers Student feature, and asking questions about the firm / the people on the panel. Things like asking about future firm strategy, office expansion, any new big areas for development within the London office, why X associate chose to qualify into Y practice area following their TC at the firm, etc. are the kind of things I would be thinking about here. It is a case of taking an interest in the firm and showing that by asking a few questions that are interesting and useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Skadden VC experience (2018 Summer VC recruitment season).

Thanks to @Leke for sharing this with us.

From my experience, Skadden was very personable at the interview. Most questions were about my CV. To be honest, my interview was probably not the norm because I had a lot of experience working I human rights. The key thing is to expect questions from the information you give.

Nonetheless, there were three main questions that I believe could be applied to anyone else. These were:

1. Why Skadden?

2. Why London?

3. What two skills do you think will make you succeed as a trainee solicitor?

The remaining questions were just about my experience in Human rights (I had worked in Leigh Day) and how I was going to balance my personal convictions with working for a hypothetical extractive company.

To be honest, Skadden asked me the typical questions during my interview. So, for most of it just prepare as I am sure you are doing, and I am certain you will do well (Search Wikijobs for more questions by Skadden). Again, I will say that if you have anything that you feel stands out from your background or application form, expect questions.

I had no questions about my commercial awareness or the deals Skadden was working on. Another reason I think Skadden was weird (or maybe it is because I did not mention a deal in my app). I enjoyed my interview because they were very personable. Just remember that it is still a professional environment because I felt I loosened up closer to the end of my interview and group work. And yeah, by the way, you are going to get asked to ask them questions in your interview.

Note though: I was speaking to a person at Skadden once and he told me that if he was my interviewer, he would ask me about a case I read recently and why I agreed with it. Luckily, he did not end up interviewing me.

Again, as with any other firm, be aware that different interviewers at Skadden have different styles.

On the group work:

I used this to prepare: https://applyshinewin.com/2018/01/0...roup-exercise-its-probably-not-how-you-think/

As per Skadden's group activity, it was not typical. It is not the typical M&A group activity. I knew this from reading target jobs and wiki jobs. However, things may change. I got told this by the grad recruiter at an insight day.

My own group activity:

You were expected to be able to argue and present yourself well. In my own AC, we had an activity that involved me convincing the team on why I felt environmentalists (I think they were playing on my background) were important to society. Other individuals had different characters and after presenting ourselves to each other we then had to rank individuals based on how important they were.

The end:

I did not end up with a VC at Skadden because I messed up my group activity (I am sure even though I actually never got feedback lols). 85+% of the people at the VC were from top London Unis, Durham, Oxford and Cambridge. So, I felt very inferior and hardly spoke at the group discussion (I did not even vote one time like that). Unfortunately, acting inferior is not what recruiters look for in group work. So, if you get to the AC stage, keeping a confident mind is the next psychological battle. Don't fail yours like I failed mine. I made it too easy for my competitors.

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Holly and Salma

Joe R

Standard Member
    Dec 3, 2018
    Hi- an email I received about the interview at Skadden mentioned a written test, but none of the Skadden interview experiences I have seen mention one, and it wasn't mentioned on the booking system description either- is this likely just a mistake? (also any other general tips?)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi- an email I received about the interview at Skadden mentioned a written test, but none of the Skadden interview experiences I have seen mention one, and it wasn't mentioned on the booking system description either- is this likely just a mistake? (also any other general tips?)
    Probably worth emailing gradrec to double check

Reactions: Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.