Skadden Telephone Interview

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Just got invited to a telephone interview with Skadden today. I've tried to choose the latest possible slot to give myself maximum prep time.

The focus is going to be on the application form, commercial awareness, skills and my desire to join Skadden. Does anyone have any tips? In particular on how to prepare for commercial awareness and skills questions?

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020
    Just got invited to a telephone interview with Skadden today. I've tried to choose the latest possible slot to give myself maximum prep time.

The focus is going to be on the application form, commercial awareness, skills and my desire to join Skadden. Does anyone have any tips? In particular on how to prepare for commercial awareness and skills questions?

I'm guessing it would be best if you focus on gathering specific examples that demonstrate the skills Skadden is looking for specifically e.g. teamwork, problem-solving, etc. Make sure you know your application really well, and that you're able to elaborate on the examples you gave there.

As for commercial awareness, I'm not too sure. If anyone else has insight on that. But since the interview lasts only 20 mins and it's with the graduate recruitment team, I don't think it'll be too technical either. I think they're going to leave all the technical industry questions for the AC. Tho don't take my word on this.

Good luck with your phone interview!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    I'm guessing it would be best if you focus on gathering specific examples that demonstrate the skills Skadden is looking for specifically e.g. teamwork, problem-solving, etc. Make sure you know your application really well, and that you're able to elaborate on the examples you gave there.

As for commercial awareness, I'm not too sure. If anyone else has insight on that. But since the interview lasts only 20 mins and it's with the graduate recruitment team, I don't think it'll be too technical either. I think they're going to leave all the technical industry questions for the AC. Tho don't take my word on this.

Good luck with your phone interview!

Cheers pal!

ibs97

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2020
    Did anyone complete it today/will complete it tomorrow?
    I have mine tomorrow – not sure what to expect but since it's only 20 mins I think probably why skadden, why commercial law and then 5-7 mins for your own questions which is what i've experienced with telephone interviews in the past.

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020
    I have mine tomorrow – not sure what to expect but since it's only 20 mins I think probably why skadden, why commercial law and then 5-7 mins for your own questions which is what i've experienced with telephone interviews in the past.

Would you mind telling us how it goes? Good luck with it!

ibs97

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2020

didn't get asked if i have any questions but it was quite similar to what i thought before ^ + one question on a news story

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020
    I just had mine and it went awfully :( tho it was my first formal interview ever. But for those with more experience, it should go very well because the questions were very easy and straightforward and Mathieu is beyond sweet.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Holly

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    I just had mine and it went awfully :( tho it was my first formal interview ever. But for those with more experience, it should go very well because the questions were very easy and straightforward and Mathieu is beyond sweet.

You might be surprised and still get an AC! Keeping my fingers crossed for you

Laura T

May 30, 2019
    Ah don't worry, I also had mine today and I felt that I really stumbled in the first few minutes, but luckily it went a bit better afterwards. Don't give up hope yet! You never know :)

NourJ

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 1, 2020
    Ah don't worry, I also had mine today and I felt that I really stumbled in the first few minutes, but luckily it went a bit better afterwards. Don't give up hope yet! You never know :)

Best of luck!! Trying to keep a positive mindset! How long did your interview last? cause mine only lasted 13 mins so Im worried that he cut it short...

Laura T

May 30, 2019
    Best of luck!! Trying to keep a positive mindset! How long did your interview last? cause mine only lasted 13 mins so Im worried that he cut it short...
    Yes don't stress about it too much! Like you I had my first formal interview about two weeks ago and it also didn't go great. I think when you're just starting out it's really the nerves that can get in your way. Now I'm just reminding myself that even if it doesn't work out, you always learn something from it and you will do better next time :)

But as to your question, mine was exactly 20 min (I tend to keep talking when I'm nervous so it could also be because of that haha).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.