Skadden vac scheme help

Jack239

Standard Member
Nov 27, 2022
I'm currently writing my application for Skadden and one of the questions is the standard, why skadden and what qualities can you bring. In regards to this, my structure is most likely going to be talking about my interest in the firm's strong transactional work, differentiating it from US counterparts and linking to why that interests me, and lastly evidence of qualities I have that may help. In regards to the interest in the firm's strong transactional work, should I be linking some form of experience that I have gained that led me to being interested in commercial/transactional work as a whole. Or perhaps identify a specific sector such as private equity, explain the broad characteristics of that area like how it is fast-paced, and finally link that back to me and explain why I would enjoy such work. Not sure which route to take in general regarding this question.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm currently writing my application for Skadden and one of the questions is the standard, why skadden and what qualities can you bring. In regards to this, my structure is most likely going to be talking about my interest in the firm's strong transactional work, differentiating it from US counterparts and linking to why that interests me, and lastly evidence of qualities I have that may help. In regards to the interest in the firm's strong transactional work, should I be linking some form of experience that I have gained that led me to being interested in commercial/transactional work as a whole. Or perhaps identify a specific sector such as private equity, explain the broad characteristics of that area like how it is fast-paced, and finally link that back to me and explain why I would enjoy such work. Not sure which route to take in general regarding this question.
I don’t think you need to explain the characteristics of PE (the firm will know this) just why you are interested in those characteristics.

But either theme will be fine to cover - there won’t be a right or wrong answer here. Either point will be logical, so you could use both or just go with one which is the more influential aspect of your motivations.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
The structure you've mentioned for why Skadden sounds good to me!

I would definitely link your interest in the firm with your experiences, but ensure that the link is closely related. Your interest in commercial law may not justify why your interest was sparked in Skadden as a firm, for example. If you like PE, relating it back to an article you read, an experience you had or a webinar/event you attended where you learnt more about the practice may be better than talking about why you enjoy fast-paced work because that doesn't necessarily show why you like PE.

Does this make sense?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.