Skadden

AS858

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 48
Aug 3, 2018
Please insert your covering letter in support of your application here. Please include your reasons for applying to Skadden and why you believe you are suited to the firm.

Any suggestions on how to answer "why you believe you are suited to the firm."

Would I speak about key skills I have? (There's a section already on achievements etc)

Reactions: Aminata

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Please insert your covering letter in support of your application here. Please include your reasons for applying to Skadden and why you believe you are suited to the firm.

Any suggestions on how to answer "why you believe you are suited to the firm."

Would I speak about key skills I have? (There's a section already on achievements etc)

not just skills - could also talk about why you are aligned to the firm (values, culture, opportunities they can provide you).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Hope you're well.
Considering the cover letter requirements, can/should we also address why we want to work in commercial law?

I don't know what the cover letter requirements are unfortunately. But sounds like a no, the question is not asking you why you want to work in commercial law, it is asking you why you are applying to Skadden and why you are suited to them specifically.

There may be some overlap or reference to commercial law, but I'd probably avoid anything that isn't specific to Skadden.

Last edited:
  • 🏆
Reactions: Aminata

Aminata

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 27, 2018
    I don't know what the cover letter requirements are unfortunately. But sounds like a no, the question is now asking you why you want to work in commercial law, it is asking you why you are applying to Skadden and why you are suited to them specifically.

There may be some overlap or reference to commercial law, but I'd probably avoid anything that isn't specific to Skadden.

Thank you Jessica! That makes a lot of sense ☺️

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    If it is the same as last year it is a very short cover letter of only 300 words. I got to the AC last year and divided the letter into 4 paragraphs. I explained in the first paragraph why I was attracted specifically to Skadden and since I had attended the insight evening I was able to bring in what I had learnt at that event. I drilled down a bit further as I was particularly interested in the success of their Italy Desk as I am an Italian speaker. I touched upon pro bono as I have some experience in this and I was keen to continue with that at Skadden, mentioning specifically where I wanted to channel my interests with the firm. I hope this helps - in short it has to be why you are interested in them and what you will bring to the firm.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi @Helena thank you so much for the guidance!

Just wanted to ask, did you address the cover letter to anyone specifically and would you advice to do the proper formalities in signing out?

Thank you so much! :)

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Hi @Helena thank you so much for the guidance!

Just wanted to ask, did you address the cover letter to anyone specifically and would you advice to do the proper formalities in signing out?

Thank you so much! :)
    I would be inclined to check so you could drop a quick email to the Grad Rec Manager who is Mathieu Pinto Cardoso, [email protected]. Good luck.
    Also as its only 300 words you could just finish with Thank you.

Last edited:
    • 🏆
    Reactions: R203

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    @Helena Thanks so much Helena.

Also, just wanted to clarify the approach you took in answering "your reasons for applying to Skadden and why you believe you are suited to the firm"

Would you say that you answered both questions separately, in that your first two paras were focused on reasons for applying to Skadden, and the other 2 paras were focused on why you believe you are suited (Italian speaker + pro bono experience)?

Currently struggling with apportioning my answer to address both parts properly :(

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    @Helena Thanks so much Helena.

Also, just wanted to clarify the approach you took in answering "your reasons for applying to Skadden and why you believe you are suited to the firm"

Would you say that you answered both questions separately, in that your first two paras were focused on reasons for applying to Skadden, and the other 2 paras were focused on why you believe you are suited (Italian speaker + pro bono experience)?

Currently struggling with apportioning my answer to address both parts properly :(

The first paragraph was my longest and pinpointed exactly why I was attracted to Skadden. I brought up three specific reasons and backed this up with information I had gleaned from the insight evening, research on the firm etc. The second paragraph concerned the success of the Italy desk and my specific interest, coupled with what I believed I could bring to Skadden's international environment from my study abroad experiences. I then mentioned my interest in pro bono and my appreciation of diversity and its importance in the recruitment of trainees, always relating my interest with personal experiences and relating back to the firm.

I hope this makes sense. Certainly write it simply and clearly, following on logically from the previous paragraph. You can't go into much detail as it's quite short.
    Good luck.

• 🏆
    Reactions: R203

Ehab

Standard Member
    Nov 9, 2019
    The first paragraph was my longest and pinpointed exactly why I was attracted to Skadden. I brought up three specific reasons and backed this up with information I had gleaned from the insight evening, research on the firm etc. The second paragraph concerned the success of the Italy desk and my specific interest, coupled with what I believed I could bring to Skadden's international environment from my study abroad experiences. I then mentioned my interest in pro bono and my appreciation of diversity and its importance in the recruitment of trainees, always relating my interest with personal experiences and relating back to the firm.

I hope this makes sense. Certainly write it simply and clearly, following on logically from the previous paragraph. You can't go into much detail as it's quite short.
    Good luck.

Hi Helena

I am in the process of creating an application to Skadden. I was wondering if I should address the usual requirements of Why commercial law, why the firm and why me. or Should I stick to 'Why Skadden' and 'Why I am suited for the firm'?

Thanks
    Ehab

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    @Ehab
    The information I gave above was in answer to the question:

Please insert your covering letter in support of your application here. Please include your reasons for applying to Skadden and why you believe you are suited to the firm. 300
    I think you need to answer the question, so yes you need to say why you are applying to the firm and why you are a fit for them specifically - they are not asking why commercial law. Always address the question specifics as clearly as you can. Good luck.

Ehab

Standard Member
    Nov 9, 2019
    @Ehab
    The information I gave above was in answer to the question:

Please insert your covering letter in support of your application here. Please include your reasons for applying to Skadden and why you believe you are suited to the firm. 300
    I think you need to answer the question, so yes you need to say why you are applying to the firm and why you are a fit for them specifically - they are not asking why commercial law. Always address the question specifics as clearly as you can. Good luck.

Thank you

Ali2020

Esteemed Member
    Dec 11, 2019
    Thanks for this! Who did you address your cover letter to?

If it is the same as last year it is a very short cover letter of only 300 words. I got to the AC last year and divided the letter into 4 paragraphs. I explained in the first paragraph why I was attracted specifically to Skadden and since I had attended the insight evening I was able to bring in what I had learnt at that event. I drilled down a bit further as I was particularly interested in the success of their Italy Desk as I am an Italian speaker. I touched upon pro bono as I have some experience in this and I was keen to continue with that at Skadden, mentioning specifically where I wanted to channel my interests with the firm. I hope this helps - in short it has to be why you are interested in them and what you will bring to the firm.

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    I had them down as rolling on my spreadsheet, but not 100% sure now what that was based on. My application was Dec 19 (their deadline was v end of Dec) so I wouldn't be expecting to hear much from them myself, however it seems they have been silent for everybody? I can't find anybody who has heard anything yet, perhaps they haven't started reviewing and are still on winter schemers?

Their website says they will hold vacation placement scheme days in Jan or Feb for both spring and summer schemes though so I imagine they must be planning to get back soon.

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    I had them down as rolling on my spreadsheet, but not 100% sure now what that was based on. My application was Dec 19 (their deadline was v end of Dec) so I wouldn't be expecting to hear much from them myself, however it seems they have been silent for everybody? I can't find anybody who has heard anything yet, perhaps they haven't started reviewing and are still on winter schemers?

Their website says they will hold vacation placement scheme days in Jan or Feb for both spring and summer schemes though so I imagine they must be planning to get back soon.

I applied late October and have heard nothing, so I think you're right!

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    at the open day Grad Rec said they review on a rolling basis but don't make decisions until after the deadline and that telephone interviews will likely be held in mid-Jan so maybe they'll start getting back to people in the next week?

Reactions: Ali2020 and M777

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.