Slaughter and May CV - bullet points or paragraphs?

syw

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Agreed, bullet points are fine for a CV though I always recommend prose for work experience entries.
    Hi Alice, do you simply mean that all other entries in the CV e.g interests/extra curriculars should be in brief bullet points, and work experience in fuller prose written paragraphs? Thank you>

Nat000

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Hi Alice, do you simply mean that all other entries in the CV e.g interests/extra curriculars should be in brief bullet points, and work experience in fuller prose written paragraphs? Thank you>

I just bullet pointed everything, including the work experience section. Admittedly the individual points were long full sentences but the format was certainly bullet points

• ℹ️
    Reactions: syw

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Think Alice means that in applications where you have work experience sections, you use prose, but that you use bullet points on CVs

• ℹ️
    Reactions: syw

BrerRabbit

Nov 30, 2020
    Think Alice means that in applications where you have work experience sections, you use prose, but that you use bullet points on CVs
    Is it ever acceptable to use prose for employment in CVs? Mine is currently all bullet-pointed, but is it possible to use prose for current position if it's concise (just to explain additional points I may not want to/be able to fit into a cover letter)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it ever acceptable to use prose for employment in CVs? Mine is currently all bullet-pointed, but is it possible to use prose for current position if it's concise (just to explain additional points I may not want to/be able to fit into a cover letter)?
    You can do, but you will be making it much more difficult for your reader to digest what you are saying.

I'd be slightly concerned if you are trying to force information from a cover letter into a CV though - there is something about that which doesn't quite sound right. The purpose of the two documents is very different and I wouldn't expect you'd be able to transfer one from the other without it potentially jarring.

BrerRabbit

Nov 30, 2020
    You can do, but you will be making it much more difficult for your reader to digest what you are saying.

I'd be slightly concerned if you are trying to force information from a cover letter into a CV though - there is something about that which doesn't quite sound right. The purpose of the two documents is very different and I wouldn't expect you'd be able to transfer one from the other without it potentially jarring.
    Great, thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.