Slaughter and May interview Preparation

QWERTY123

Standard Member
Sep 3, 2019
Reading the Slaughter and May past interview experiences seems like the written exercise is often about advising business on best growth strategy for it to follow. I was hoping someone could recommend some decent reading to get a bit of background info about this.

LuLa

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 28, 2019
Hi!
So I actually recently did the S&M interview so i think i can be of help here
The case study is super straightforward. its about 2-3 pages to read (as opposed to other law firms which give you packs and packs of information) and it asks you to pick between 3 different expansion strategies and advise the client as to which one is the best one.
you don't need to do any background reading i think all they look for its common sense. so they give you graphs to refer back to (i highly suggest you incorporate them in your report). the graphs are really basic and in a way are able to provide with further pros and cons to add to your answers, so in a way even if you don't have common sense you can purely base it on the information you get.
i suggest just read porter's five forces and brush up on general SWOT knowledge. jake schogger's commercial law textbook is also pretty useful in terms of pros and cons of expansions strategies

another big tip I have is: keep the report short and sweet but with no typos, as opposed to make it longer. not finish and potentially with typos.
also in the HR interview I got asked whether I was able to finish the report, so I feel if you can give a confident answer there then you're set.

hope this helps :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.