Slaughter and May Training Contract Application 2022

biosparasemos

Feb 16, 2020
I think something to say about an interview at Slaughters, is that it really really really depends on the partner interviewing you. Sure, this is true for other firms, but Slaughters seem to place a huge amount of emphasis on whether they get along with the candidate. Not all people will get along with one another, and other times people will get along well if they have shared interests.

Whilst they do say not to worry about the article, and that your personal opinion doesn't matter... this is not true, and if the partner thinks you are wrong then that works against you..

Reactions: Laksha

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    I think something to say about an interview at Slaughters, is that it really really really depends on the partner interviewing you. Sure, this is true for other firms, but Slaughters seem to place a huge amount of emphasis on whether they get along with the candidate. Not all people will get along with one another, and other times people will get along well if they have shared interests.

Whilst they do say not to worry about the article, and that your personal opinion doesn't matter... this is not true, and if the partner thinks you are wrong then that works against you..

With respect, that last bit isn't correct. Your personal opinion, e.g. political leaning, doesn't matter. But if you offer an argument in defence of a view you hold (that you've mentioned because it's relevant to the article), the partner will try to pick it apart. They play devil's advocate and what they, or you, think doesn't matter - it's just a matter of how well you can defend yourself, or acknowledge when you're wrong.

For the first part of your comment, I definitely agree that it's great if your personality meshes with your interviewer's. But it doesn't have to come down to shared interests. I've had three separate interviews at Slaughters across the whole VS/TC process, with a total of five different people, and I didn't have anything at all in common with most of them. But I was friendly, smiled a lot, and that's all it really takes for most people to to away thinking 'they seemed nice.' You don't need to both be interested in football or whatever to get along with someone.

biosparasemos

Feb 16, 2020
    With respect, that last bit isn't correct. Your personal opinion, e.g. political leaning, doesn't matter. But if you offer an argument in defence of a view you hold (that you've mentioned because it's relevant to the article), the partner will try to pick it apart. They play devil's advocate and what they, or you, think doesn't matter - it's just a matter of how well you can defend yourself, or acknowledge when you're wrong.

For the first part of your comment, I definitely agree that it's great if your personality meshes with your interviewer's. But it doesn't have to come down to shared interests. I've had three separate interviews at Slaughters across the whole VS/TC process, with a total of five different people, and I didn't have anything at all in common with most of them. But I was friendly, smiled a lot, and that's all it really takes for most people to to away thinking 'they seemed nice.' You don't need to both be interested in football or whatever to get along with someone.

I literally have feedback from grad rec saying my point of view was wrong.... no.. it was a matter of opinion. They just say that to make people more relaxed, and I am sure on the whole they are level headed. But, with respect, my point isn't unfounded.

Reactions: Laksha and bringtring

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.