Slaughter and May Written Exercise

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hey guys,

I have a Slaughter and May's Direct TC interview coming up. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to do the written exercise. People have been saying to use SWOT or Porter's Fives - does this just literally mean listing SWOT as separate headings and writing under them? Moreover, do we only use SWOT or Porter's Five - and not both?

I was also wondering if there are any other resources that can be used for the written exercise, as I had one a few months ago at Latham, but mine didn't go down too well.

Kind regards,
TCP

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys,

I have a Slaughter and May's Direct TC interview coming up. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to do the written exercise. People have been saying to use SWOT or Porter's Fives - does this just literally mean listing SWOT as separate headings and writing under them? Moreover, do we only use SWOT or Porter's Five - and not both?

I was also wondering if there are any other resources that can be used for the written exercise, as I had one a few months ago at Latham, but mine didn't go down too well.

Kind regards,
TCP

My advice is to not try to get too bogged down with the specifics of structure. If they wanted SWOT the instructions would say to use it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica - so how would you recommend structuring it? Also, should I summarise anything for the client or not? If so, do I keep it very brief?

It’s impossible to advise on this without knowing the detail of the exercise. There is not one answer to these exercises though, so I think you are asking the wrong questions here, When it comes to structure you just base this on the basic rules of writing.

When you see the context of the scenario you are faced with, ask yourself the following questions:

What might the client not know/understand?
What is important to the client? Are they right in thinking this should be a priority?
If the client only remembers three things, what do you need them to take away?
How do I back up what I am saying?
How can I ensure I am not ambiguous?
What do I need to signpost to the client, particularly if I need them to action anything or need them to be aware of anything else that needs to be considered/actioned?
What’s the purpose of the writing - to inform/persuade/direct?

You are ultimately trying to prepare for an exercise that you cannot prepare for though. Try not to go in with too many fixed ideas on the particulars of how you would write this assessment.

Reactions: Jaysen and Daniel Boden

TheCustardPants

Distinguished Member
Sep 12, 2018
It’s impossible to advise on this without knowing the detail of the exercise. There is not one answer to these exercises though, so I think you are asking the wrong questions here, When it comes to structure you just base this on the basic rules of writing.

When you see the context of the scenario you are faced with, ask yourself the following questions:

What might the client not know/understand?
What is important to the client? Are they right in thinking this should be a priority?
If the client only remembers three things, what do you need them to take away?
How do I back up what I am saying?
How can I ensure I am not ambiguous?
What do I need to signpost to the client, particularly if I need them to action anything or need them to be aware of anything else that needs to be considered/actioned?
What’s the purpose of the writing - to inform/persuade/direct?

You are ultimately trying to prepare for an exercise that you cannot prepare for though. Try not to go in with too many fixed ideas on the particulars of how you would write this assessment.

Thanks Jessica - I'll guess I'll just have to see the written exerise on the day and make my decision then as to how to write it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.