SQE - general discussion

D95

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 17, 2019
I haven't seen any discussions about SQE here, so I thought it would be good to create a space where we can talk about the incoming changes to qualifying as a solicitor.

We all know that LPC costs are unreasonably high (as much as £17k in London) and act as a deterrent for many people from undertaking it in the absence of training contract offer and/or sponsorship from the firm. The changes brought by SRA intend to, at least in theory, ease a financial burden of qualifying.

Some basic information:

1. The qualifying route through SQE should be available from autumn 2021.
2. It will be still possible to qualify under the "old" route until 2032.
3. SQE estimated costs are between £3,000 - £4,500. This will be spread over the two assessments which are taken at different times. This does not,however, include any additional training.
4. According to BARBRI, one of the accredited training providers, the cost of the training itself is currently estimated to be at around £7,000 mark, therefore bringing the entire cost of qualifying to £10,000 - £11,500 (provided that one passes the two exams on the first attempt).
5. While lowering the costs seemed to be SRA's main intention, it is quite clear that it will not necessarily be the case. (note from self: if the course cannot be combined with postgraduate studies that are available for funding, it may as well even deter more students from qualifying - there is not much information currently whether the preparation training will be combined with postgraduate degree in the same fashion as LPC + LLM is).

Further information can be found under the following links:
https://www.sra.org.uk/sra/policy/sqe/solicitor-persona/
https://www.barbri-international.com/sqe/predictions/

I am one of those graduates who has not done the LPC yet, because I simply cannot afford it. I work as in-house paralegal and, if I fail to obtain a training contract, SQE offers me a promise of qualifying by recognising my up-to-date experience and, possibly, achieving that at a lesser cost. While my goal is firmly set on obtaining a TC with a firm that could sponsor my LPC, I have been wondering lately whether I should consider waiting for the SQE to roll in, should my original plan fail.

What is your take on the SQE? Are you looking into that route of qualifying or are you set on completing the LPC (if you haven't undertaken it yet)?

• ℹ️
Reactions: anulciak7, Zoo and Jaysen

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I’m currently studying the LPC with LLM which allows me to receive funding to do the LPC. It’s an alternative to self-funding the LPC and allowed me to continue my studies whilst applying for TCs. It might not work for everyone, but it worked for me.

The general advice I hear from recruiters is to continue applying for TCs as normal. The SQE is still over a year away and law firms and suppliers are still getting to grips with how it will pan out.

The difficult situation is, as you mention, for those currently not doing the LPC and don’t have funding for it. For those, I think you’re doing the right thing but continuing to apply as normal as opposed to wait for the SQE to come in.

Hopefully we’ll get more clarification as the SRA moves to stage 2 testing this year.

Reactions: Matt_96 and D95

Pluto

May 8, 2020
    Is there any information as to what work experience is relevant? Are these discussions that need to be had with the employer before starting a new paralegal job, for example?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is there any information as to what work experience is relevant? Are these discussions that need to be had with the employer before starting a new paralegal job, for example?

The classification of QWE (qualifying work experience) is quite broad. Most concerning is that unpaid experience would qualify :mad:

The organisation you work for needs to be recognised as complying with SRA rules. Each placement must be signed off by a qualified solicitor at the organisation, or a compliance officer for legal practice, or failing the first two, another solicitor outside the organisation with direct experience of the candidate’s work.

You’d probably want it written into an employment contract that the role will qualify for QWE within an organisation.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Pluto

Nat

Star Member
    Sep 8, 2018
    Hi all

Does anyone know if we would be able to self fund the SQE and qualify without having to go through any TC like application assessment?

For example, I am a law graduate with many years of legal work experience. If I pay myself to have the exams and pass them, could a firm just sign off my relevant work experience (without offering me an NQ job) so I can qualify?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Many thanks
    N

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all

Does anyone know if we would be able to self fund the SQE and qualify without having to go through any TC like application assessment?

For example, I am a law graduate with many years of legal work experience. If I pay myself to have the exams and pass them, could a firm just sign off my relevant work experience (without offering me an NQ job) so I can qualify?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Many thanks
    N

technically, yes.

you would need to get two years of your work experience signed off by the firm(s) you worked for, but this plus passing the SQE would be enough to qualify.

however, what isn’t clear is whether this would make you employable as a NQ. The new system is more like the accountancy qualification system, and there are plenty of people who self fund their ACA qualifications, but this does not make it straight forward to jump into a qualified role. There is a real risk that people gain the professional qualifications, but their work experience isn’t comparable to what a firm would offer their “trainees” during a training contract, and therefore you are at a significant disadvantage.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen

Nat

Star Member
    Sep 8, 2018
    technically, yes.

you would need to get two years of your work experience signed off by the firm(s) you worked for, but this plus passing the SQE would be enough to qualify.

however, what isn’t clear is whether this would make you employable as a NQ. The new system is more like the accountancy qualification system, and there are plenty of people who self fund their ACA qualifications, but this does not make it straight forward to jump into a qualified role. There is a real risk that people gain the professional qualifications, but their work experience isn’t comparable to what a firm would offer their “trainees” during a training contract, and therefore you are at a significant disadvantage.

Thank you very much, Jessica.

It would be interesting to see if firms will adopt a policy similar to CILEX for internal paralegals (eg continue working as a paralegal and do the exams on the side to qualify).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you very much, Jessica.

It would be interesting to see if firms will adopt a policy similar to CILEX for internal paralegals (eg continue working as a paralegal and do the exams on the side to qualify).

possibly. But the issue will be whether a paralegal role has sufficient responsibilities to be deemed suitable for the qualifying work experience.

Vast majority of paralegals are not doing the level of work that a trainee would do. Some do, but they are a minority. Some more paralegals do trainee level work, but not consistently enough to warrant that all of their work experience would be deemed qualifying.

I think some firms will offer this as a route to qualify but they will only do it with those paralegals who are working at a trainee level (or above).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Nat

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I’ll be frank. The SRA are not going to delay this. The only delay will be if the the LSB doesn’t approve it.

Too many things have been put in place to delay it now, and adapting a MCQ will be relatively easy anyway.

The JLD are also looking at this slightly wrong. Work experience (especially as a paralegal) or degree subject does not always equate to technical knowledge. It also doesn’t take into account someone who has a PHD in a non law subject, is probably very good at self studying/learning a subject throughly and therefore could have self taught themselves the necessary knowledge to get a high pass mark.

The MCQ is only one part of the SQE too. You can’t pass that alone and qualify. Interesting it is based on the MCQ for the current QLTS which has had an awful pass rate and wasn’t deemed too easy. So be interesting to see if benchmarks have been lowered.

Reactions: D95

aaron_atde

Junior Lawyer 23
    Feb 2, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

What impact will the SQE have (if any) on the cross qualifying route from a Chartered Legal Executive to a Solicitor (CILEx followed by the completion of the LPC)?

I have completed the LPC and have nearly two years worth of paralegal experience in a relatively large national law firm already.

Many thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

What impact will the SQE have (if any) on the cross qualifying route from a Chartered Legal Executive to a Solicitor (CILEx followed by the completion of the LPC)?

I have completed the LPC and have nearly two years worth of paralegal experience in a relatively large national law firm already.

Many thanks in advance!

In time, CILEX people wanting to become a qualified solicitor will need a Level 6 qualification (equivalent to a degree) and will need to sit the SQE in the same way another other candidate will.

Anyone who has completed the LPC prior to August 2021 can qualifying within the existing system(s) until 2031.

aaron_atde

Junior Lawyer 23
    Feb 2, 2019
    In time, CILEX people wanting to become a qualified solicitor will need a Level 6 qualification (equivalent to a degree) and will need to sit the SQE in the same way another other candidate will.

Anyone who has completed the LPC prior to August 2021 can qualifying within the existing system(s) until 2031.

Thanks Jessica.

Just to confirm, as I have already completed the LPC (in 2018) I would be exempt from doing the CILEx academic qualifications and would just need three years' qualifying employment without having to sit the SQE?

Obtaining a TC is my first choice but the cross qualifying route for Chartered Legal Executives who have also completed the LPC is definitely a credible alternative route in becoming a solicitor which not a lot of people are aware of!

amb98

Distinguished Member
    Feb 26, 2020
    Thanks Jessica.

Just to confirm, as I have already completed the LPC (in 2018) I would be exempt from doing the CILEx academic qualifications and would just need three years' qualifying employment without having to sit the SQE?

Obtaining a TC is my first choice but the cross qualifying route for Chartered Legal Executives who have also completed the LPC is definitely a credible alternative route in becoming a solicitor which not a lot of people are aware of!

I think that you can’t cross the two routes - if you wish to utilise the LPC for qualification purposes, then you must do the traditional TC. Alternative would be to sit the SQE then you may be able to use your paralegal experience as qualifying work experience.

As far as I’m aware this is the case but @Jessica Booker should be able to clarify!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica.

I am not an expert on CILEX so can’t advise you on this. All I do know is that with the LPC no longer being a route after 2021, I would expect those wanting to take CILEX and then convert to become a qualified solicitor, they would need to take the SQE from 2021 onwards (if you haven’t started the LPC by that point). The SQE is going to be a route for all Solicitors - it is standardising the route for everyone. As you have started your qualification route, the existing CILEX route should be feasible while the two systems run at the same time.

CILEX can be a good route, but it depends highly on what type of firm you want to work for. Large, international firms are unlikely to take people on who a have qualified via CILEX.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think that you can’t cross the two routes - if you wish to utilise the LPC for qualification purposes, then you must do the traditional TC. Alternative would be to sit the SQE then you may be able to use your paralegal experience as qualifying work experience.

As far as I’m aware this is the case but @Jessica Booker should be able to clarify!

someone who has taken the LPC can go on and choose to do the SQE if they want to.

The key difference between the two is that if you haven’t started your law degree or GDL by August 2021, you HAVE to do the SQE.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: amb98

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Hey guys
    I'm due to start the GDL in Jan 2021, hoping to do LPC from Sept 2021 and wondered whether i should bother given the SQE changes as I don't have a training contract lined up? Personally i'd feel more comfortable going down the GDL/ LPC route but I don't want to waste my time if firms aren't recruiting from this route anymore. Everything seems so uncertain at the moment!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys
    I'm due to start the GDL in Jan 2021, hoping to do LPC from Sept 2021 and wondered whether i should bother given the SQE changes as I don't have a training contract lined up? Personally i'd feel more comfortable going down the GDL/ LPC route but I don't want to waste my time if firms aren't recruiting from this route anymore. Everything seems so uncertain at the moment!

You are fine now the SRA has delayed the last GDL intake until 31 December 2021. Means there will be a whole intake near enough a year behind you.

It means a lot of firms have deferred their first intake of SQE cohorts to 2024 now.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Lawgirl123

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.