SQE - has anyone done the course and can answer a few questions?

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
Hi,

I would appreciate some questions answered by anyone who has done the sqe!

I understand on the sqe you are taught the core modules of the lpc for 3-4 months, but you are not taught the core legal knowledge modules. To what extent are you meant to know all the detail in the core legal knowledge modules?

For example, i spent a year learning the core modules on the GDL, which took me like 30-40 hours a week. How are we expected to do this again, but in 3 months and alongside the core modules of the lpc? And, do it via self study? Maybe I have a bad memory but I can’t remember specifics to answer MCQs of my core modules, and I’m panicking a bit thinking I have to re revise an entire years worth of knowledge in 3 months, alongside 3 months of additional teaching?

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi,

I would appreciate some questions answered by anyone who has done the sqe!

I understand on the sqe you are taught the core modules of the lpc for 3-4 months, but you are not taught the core legal knowledge modules. To what extent are you meant to know all the detail in the core legal knowledge modules?

For example, i spent a year learning the core modules on the GDL, which took me like 30-40 hours a week. How are we expected to do this again, but in 3 months and alongside the core modules of the lpc? And, do it via self study? Maybe I have a bad memory but I can’t remember specifics to answer MCQs of my core modules, and I’m panicking a bit thinking I have to re revise an entire years worth of knowledge in 3 months, alongside 3 months of additional teaching?
    The assessment objectives here show what is included in the exam: https://sqe.sra.org.uk/exam-arrangements/assessment-information/sqe1-assessment-specification

I would say maybe not in as much detail as the practical law modules you'll be taught but they are definitely a big part of the SQE exam which isn't particularly appreciated on the prep courses! It is up to you to self-study them while juggling reading etc for the new content so I would highly recommend trying to study this before you start the course!

Reactions: Jaysen and Erin

Law1099

Valued Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    The assessment objectives here show what is included in the exam: https://sqe.sra.org.uk/exam-arrangements/assessment-information/sqe1-assessment-specification

I would say maybe not in as much detail as the practical law modules you'll be taught but they are definitely a big part of the SQE exam which isn't particularly appreciated on the prep courses! It is up to you to self-study them while juggling reading etc for the new content so I would highly recommend trying to study this before you start the course!
    Thank you so much for answering!

The fact that they expect you to regurgitate knowledge on your own/before the course that you learnt, in some cases, 3+ years ago is really strange. I’ve never been on a course where I’m required to memorise knowledge from a completely different course.

Reactions: OB

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Thank you so much for answering!

The fact that they expect you to regurgitate knowledge on your own/before the course that you learnt, in some cases, 3+ years ago is really strange. I’ve never been on a course where I’m required to memorise knowledge from a completely different course.
    For example, when I studied EU law we were still in the EU!! On my course they would pop in some academic law reading in the consolidation reading tasks but I think most people never could find the time to do it!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.